Adding a Flue Collar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

billglick

Dec 10, 2022
Illinois
I have an older Lopi fireplace insert that I’m wanting to install in my shop as a free standing wood stove. My problem is there is no flue collar on this insert, and instead an 8” hole going into the fire box.

Do I need to fabricate my own flue collar? Any tips on building one?

Or is there a kit or process that I can retrofit to 6” or 8” stove pipe?

6DC1C458-8006-4038-AE7E-58ECD74E6BC3.jpeg CA3F70B5-148D-44DC-8C1D-DCDABDC077DF.jpeg F669D2BB-4F83-4ACE-B8F8-856E28DB2B43.jpeg

Do you, or will you, store any flammable chemicals or accelerants (gasoline!) in your shop? If so, I’ve read here that a wood stove is prohibited per building codes, and a potential insurance issue. Just FYI… I’ll let the stove experts address your flue collar. Be safe!

What’s the value of shop one contents? If you don’t mind the risk of a denied insurance claim it’s been done. Personally with a 24k btu mini split under 3k$ it’s just wouldn’t be with the risk for me.

Looks like a steel stove and whatever it had for a flue adapter had a damper in it. I'd remove that slide damper and weld an appropriate size pipe on it and put a key damper in the stovepipe.
I've been through the insurance BS when I used my shop commercially. I had a woodstove in the shop and the insurance company of course balked at it. They also balked at something else every year. My shop isn't commercial any longer and I would put a woodstove back in and not think anything about it. If I burn my shop down with my woodstove then I'm willing to accept responsibility. As long as it's not endangering others or their property it's all on me.

Reactions: fbelec
Looks like a steel stove and whatever it had for a flue adapter had a damper in it. I'd remove that slide damper and weld an appropriate size pipe on it and put a key damper in the stovepipe.
I've been through the insurance BS when I used my shop commercially. I had a woodstove in the shop and the insurance company of course balked at it. They also balked at something else every year. My shop isn't commercial any longer and I would put a woodstove back in and not think anything about it. If I burn my shop down with my woodstove then I'm willing to accept responsibility. As long as it's not endangering others or their property it's all on me.
I have a garage I heat with wood as well. For that one I am fine with the risk of loosing it and the contents without insurance covering it. My commercial shop absolutely not. That is a decision everyone has to make on their own. We are simply letting people know it is a clear code violation and insurance can and very possibly will refuse coverage and or deny claims