Lopi SX 1982 wood stove fireplace insert (slammer), how to connect to chimney flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Soybeansaregreat

Dec 7, 2022
Peoria, Illinois
I just purchased a 1982 Lopi SX, it was designed exhaust into fireplace, not chimney

if I get rid of existing damper, I could put a connector in 8 inch opening , but then the connector would need a damper in it.

not sure what my options are.

D0111C77-ACF4-48D8-A424-5A7878C19EA0.jpeg
9B42303A-E9A8-4DB6-AC68-44A920ABFA40.jpeg
B3428A35-2B68-4DF5-BC7F-44603AF453DD.jpeg601DB466-A621-483E-8B1B-CC9B85164701.jpeg

Can an old Lopi SX 1982 be operated without a damper?

to retrofit this Lopi stove to SS pipe, I would have to lose the damper. Is this advisable?

View attachment 304823
It can be operated without a damper yes. Or you can have a custom boot made to bolt fast over the existing damper to keep it. I assume that stove will need an 8" liner. I would think hard about spending the money on an 8" liner for an old primitive stove like that because new ones will need 6".

Thank you for your reply. I am rethinking installing this primitive stove.
They aren't bad stoves at all but not very efficient compared to more modern stuff

That is a beast of a lopi. It is weird that code allowed an install of that stove with out a liner in them days. If you ditch the damper a boot could be easily be made for it.

I have a lopi revere and hardly use the damper. So it could be an option. I can get the stove where I want it mostly with the bottom air flow control.

But that 8 inch liner is pretty pricey... And the boot.

If you need to get rid of that insert. You can retain your cost by selling that blower. A lot of people are looking for them. They go for 100+ on ebay,

How much did that insert set you back?