Additional heating for bathroom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Thomas_Z

Nov 6, 2019
OR, USA
Does anybody have experience of additional heaters heating systems for bathroom installation? The problem is that's the room is not a part of the central heating system. The only place in the whole house where it's cold. It's on the first floor. Wall insulation did not help. I'll appreciate any advice.

There are a host of options from panel heaters to heated towel racks, to fan powered wall heaters, to a simple baseboard.

My guess is you an have exhaust fan in the bathroom to the outdoors. They are usually equipped with very crappy backflow dampers and usually leak cold air back into the house. In many cases its the primary source of air infiltration from the outdoors in a tight home. With a wood fire and chimney, intake air is needed and that makes the house negative. So you have a demand for air on the inside of the house and leaky damper connected to the exhaust fan so you are sucking cold air into the bathroom. I know its an issue on my bathroom. I put some plastic film over it in cold weather and I could see it sucked into the house.

If you can get at the ductwork on the exhaust side of the fan consider installing a cape type exhaust damper. I have not tried one yet but they have good reputation. https://www.tamtech.com/product-category/cape-backdraft-dampers/ Amazon has them.

Reactions: vinny11950
I run a small electric space heater when I am using the bathroom . . . in a small, enclosed space it doesn't take long to heat up the space and make it comfortable after I get out of the shower.

I deal with this all the time remodeling bathrooms. I hate any kind of baseboard heaters. When remodeling our large bathroom i refused to put the ugly baseboard hydronic heater in there on top of a marble floor. I use several solutions. One is a heat lamp style fixture in the ceiling ,comes in either a single bulb or double bulb. Provides instant radiant heat at only 250 watts for the single or 500 watts for the double bulb. I use this method and it has worked so well i didnt bother to install a wall unit. Another is a wall unit which comes in several sizes. A 1500 to 2000 watt unit will heat any size bathroom quickly. They also come in 3000 and 4000 watts. Plug in heaters work well too if you cant put something permanent in. I recommend the radiant type.

Toe kick heaters work great if you have a traditional vanity and can get to wiring.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
My guess is you an have exhaust fan in the bathroom to the outdoors. They are usually equipped with very crappy backflow dampers and usually leak cold air back into the house. In many cases its the primary source of air infiltration from the outdoors in a tight home. With a wood fire and chimney, intake air is needed and that makes the house negative. So you have a demand for air on the inside of the house and leaky damper connected to the exhaust fan so you are sucking cold air into the bathroom. I know its an issue on my bathroom. I put some plastic film over it in cold weather and I could see it sucked into the house.

If you can get at the ductwork on the exhaust side of the fan consider installing a cape type exhaust damper. I have not tried one yet but they have good reputation. https://www.tamtech.com/product-category/cape-backdraft-dampers/ Amazon has them.
Great advice, but unfortunately, no. I would definetely notice that.
I run a small electric space heater when I am using the bathroom . . . in a small, enclosed space it doesn't take long to heat up the space and make it comfortable after I get out of the shower.
That's great for RVs, I guess. But I need a stable temperature 24/7

Toe kick heaters work great if you have a traditional vanity and can get to wiring.
Will it hit my pocket much? I want it be working at least 12 hours a day then

Why would you run a heater in a bathroom for 12 hours a day?

Our bathroom has heat, but it's a large bathroom with a skylight. We just have a little ceramic space heater from Target for when we shower. It's only on for a few minutes a day.

My wife has been working from home several days a week. Bought a tower version of the same thing for the upstairs bedroom that has her work computer set-up. She'll run it for a few minutes a couple of times a day.

We put a heat mat under our tile floors in the bathroom.

Makes the floors nice and toasty on your feet. Heats the bathroom well and there is no eye sore.

Not cheap to install once you add the tile but they are hard to beat.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Why would you run a heater in a bathroom for 12 hours a day?
I told before, That's the only room where the cold is coming from
Our bathroom has heat, but it's a large bathroom with a skylight. We just have a little ceramic space heater from Target for when we shower. It's only on for a few minutes a day.

My wife has been working from home several days a week. Bought a tower version of the same thing for the upstairs bedroom that has her work computer set-up. She'll run it for a few minutes a couple of times a day.

I thought about Honeywell or Lasko, but that's too bulky for a bathroom. I liked ceiling models like Broan-Nutone from here. was hoping someone could share his experience. Thanks, anyway

We put a towel warmer in ours. It doesn't put our a ton of heat but it's enough to make a couple degree difference. There are oil filled ones that I assume will provide a better room heat than what we have.

It's also nice to have warm towels.

Have you considered far infrared panel heaters? They can be ceiling mounted so will be safely out of reach and will not take any space. They are also simple to install and very economical to run.

If it's not part of the central system and you need additional heaters, what's there now ?

No way to zone it into the existing heating system ?
Not heating a bathroom with the main system is odd.