Advice on how the flame on an oil fed fireplace is supposed to look

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianjoan

Dec 7, 2010
Vermont
Hello, This is my first post. I bought a second hand fireplace fed by oil with no instructions. Periodically the screen on the burner turns brilliant red and a nice blue flame but most of the time I get this big orange flame that looks like a candle flame. What is the expected and what advice can you give me.
Thanks.
Brian

It's been decades since I have burned one of these, but the red glowing mantle and blue flame is goal. Yellow flame = smokey burn. One of these turkeys nearly asphyxiated me. Please be careful and don't run overnight until you are 100% sure it is running perfectly. If the neat exchanger is rusting out, junk it. Install a CO + smoke detector before using.

Status
Not open for further replies.