advice please. on stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loooooooop

Sep 12, 2013
I have an osburn 2200 insert. I am taking the face plates off and putting in a block off plate soon and was wondering what metal to use under my roxul for best results. Also, i was wondering weather or not to coat the inside of the fire box with some sort of cheap, reflective material, if that would be better than the brick as for as getting heat to into the room.Antthoughts?

You can use regular galvanized 26 or 24 ga sheet metal for the block off plate. Leave the fire box alone. Be sure you have truly seasoned wood to get the most heat out of the insert. Also be sure that the liner is correctly sized and of sufficient height per the stove manual.

Yeah I wouldn't put anything inside of the box, it is engineered to give off heat, I would rather keep up with having dry, high btu wood than fooling around with gadgets in the firebox...was your wood dry? We're you putting enough in?
Gl

Yep - as BG said - light gauge sheet. Makes it easy to work with and a little "pliable". Make sure the ins above it is nice and snug in place. Keep in mind that you are trying to seal it closed.

Does stuffing roxul work as well?

my wood is 12 months old and i have no problem with combustion or second. I just noticed my damper wasn't sealed right after it was pulled and I have a huge chimney.i also think leaving the face plates off will help more heat radiate out into the room. The thought of losing heat heat into my brick drives me crazy! Its an exterior fireplace and I think I could make it more efficient with a little work. This site and all the posts have really helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.