Advice / Review need: Regency CI2600 fireplace insert risky & costly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! This forum is very informative.

One of the first things I am going to ask the installation co. is about the block off plate.

I am pretty confident I can find the dry wood, but not as confident at keeping it under 20%. I have a large carport, but not sure if that would do the trick. How do most people store it to keep it under 20%?

No the company that installed the stove didn't charge me a dime. I threw them a few bucks cause they had been very helpful along the way at getting me a whole new stove covered under warrantee. I'm looking forward to breaking her in and lighting her up this winter to see the difference. Already got 4 cords or seasoned wood stacked and ready to burn.

Our installer came by the other week and installed both the cat thermometer and the restrictor plate in our unit, and did our annual cleaning.

Really looking forward to trying this stove again, with more-seasoned wood, and hard data about the burn temp! :)

Still kinda wishing we went with the non-flush version, but I'm optimistic that this year will be better.

Welcome to the forum!

The one thing that sounds to be missing is a damper sealing block-off plate: https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/make-a-damper-sealing-block-off-plate/ That will ensure the heat stays in the house and is more important IMHO than insulating the top.

Our installer was just here (second year with this stove), and when I asked about a block-off plate, he said it wasn't necessary because the top was insulated/sealed. Why is your opinion different from that? Just curious...

well i just got mine swept and ready to rock and roll. i have the original model and had the restriction plate put in. thanks for the tips to make the hole even smaller, i had no idea about that. and just to throw my 2 cents in, i love this stove, it burns hot and long and has a great window to view the fire. i'm very happy with it and have had 14 hour burn times, just dont expect 14 hour burn times when it's 10 degrees F outside.

I got mine going last night I made the hole smaller by adjusting the plate. I love it I can't remember who gave that advice but thank you. I put 4 logs at 9pm and at 6:30 this morning still had hot coals.

I got mine going last night I made the hole smaller by adjusting the plate. I love it I can't remember who gave that advice but thank you. I put 4 logs at 9pm and at 6:30 this morning still had hot coals.
I got mine started this weekend, as well. Those of you who followed this thread last year might recall I was having similar issues as others. But I'm back, with a restrictor plate, and a cat probe, and an actual moisture meter and about 4 cords of much better seasoned wood. I'm really looking forward to burning this thing another season. My fires this weekend seemed like a big improvement over the performance last year when I was basically flying blind on the cat temp (and therefore engaging the cat way too late), had questionable wood and my open restrictor was creating an inferno in there. Not this time. I had an 8 hour burn that could have gone longer but I just reloaded anyway for the fun of it. I'll let you all know how it goes as the temp drops this season.

I also didn't keep up on the thread so wasn't aware I could tamp down the restrictor even more by moving it. Might have to try that, along with pampering the gasket, for the next burn.

Reactions: edge-of-the-woods
Holy Crap what a difference and what a relief. I broke in my stove this past week a few days to take the chill out at night and all I can say is it's like night and day with the new stove compared to the old stove. I could actually control the fire and to be honest with ya's the controls are actually very touchy. I haven't stacked the thing full yet but I filled the stove about 2/3 full and got about solid 8-9 hour burn out of it with the blower blowing warm air out still when I woke up. There were still a decent amount of coals and chunks still in the firebox glowing. It is amazing and pretty mesmerizing watching the secondary burn just float and dance off the wood and shoot up the cat. I am amazed at the fact that I can actually control the cat temp if I'd like. So siked about this and can't wait to do some more burning.

Reactions: Grisu
I'll chime in that my experience is very similar to Dondero14's. I had my hi400 replaced in late spring and went through some small break-in burns, then it sat idle until this past week when the overnight temperature dropped enough to require heat in the house. Again I started slow with a few small fires and almost immediately noticed that the air control actually works - with it open there are active orange flames, and with it closed the flames die out and the wood just bakes. I loaded it about 2/3 full one evening in the 8 o'clock hour (stove was hot with coals remaining from the previous fire), engaged the cat when it was around 550, and left the fan on auto overnight. The fan actually stayed on past noon the next day with hot air still blowing, which is a lot longer than I ever got with my first insert. In fact when I got up around 6 the next morning I opened up the air control expecting some coals to glow, but when I did I saw that there were still logs inside and they quickly flamed up. I turned the air back down and let the insert just continue to blow heat. I'm looking forward to using it more, and hoping to be able to get into a rhythm of loading it twice a day for 'round the clock heat, but for now I'm happy that Regency followed through and got it right.

I'll chime in that my experience is very similar to Dondero14's. I had my hi400 replaced in late spring and went through some small break-in burns, then it sat idle until this past week when the overnight temperature dropped enough to require heat in the house. Again I started slow with a few small fires and almost immediately noticed that the air control actually works - with it open there are active orange flames, and with it closed the flames die out and the wood just bakes. I loaded it about 2/3 full one evening in the 8 o'clock hour (stove was hot with coals remaining from the previous fire), engaged the cat when it was around 550, and left the fan on auto overnight. The fan actually stayed on past noon the next day with hot air still blowing, which is a lot longer than I ever got with my first insert. In fact when I got up around 6 the next morning I opened up the air control expecting some coals to glow, but when I did I saw that there were still logs inside and they quickly flamed up. I turned the air back down and let the insert just continue to blow heat. I'm looking forward to using it more, and hoping to be able to get into a rhythm of loading it twice a day for 'round the clock heat, but for now I'm happy that Regency followed through and got it right.
When you burn slow like that, is your glass clean? I noticed that when I tamp mine all the way down, I'm getting some buildup in the bottom corners of my glass. Just wondering if you or others had that experience as well.

Glad to hear the new stove is working for you.

When you burn slow like that, is your glass clean? I noticed that when I tamp mine all the way down, I'm getting some buildup in the bottom corners of my glass. Just wondering if you or others had that experience as well.

Glad to hear the new stove is working for you.
It gets buildup when you tamp it down but when the weather gets colder it will burn a little quicker and the glass will clean up.

Reactions: JSeery

Can anyone tell me how big the hole is in the restrictor plate? My stove does not have one, and it sounds like that may solve some of the issues that I had last year (not being able to get the fire down low enought for an overnight burn). I can make the plate... just need to know the size of the hole! Thanks in advance for your help!

Can anyone tell me how big the hole is in the restrictor plate? My stove does not have one, and it sounds like that may solve some of the issues that I had last year (not being able to get the fire down low enought for an overnight burn). I can make the plate... just need to know the size of the hole! Thanks in advance for your help!
Check out this picture. It should give you an idea. Maybe you want to make it yourself, but Regency provided this for me free of charge when I asked about it. The stove really needs it. Your dealer can install it for you as well.
unnamed (1).jpg

Holy crap.

So with the restrictor plate installed, and another year of seasoning on our wood, this stove burned pretty well last night. First burn of the season. Got it fired up with a few splits, then stocked it 80% full at around 9:30pm. I let the temp stay at 500+ for 30 minutes, then choked down the air. It stabilized and had a new whistling sound, due to the air being pulled in via the smaller opening. I closed the cat, and went to bed. The temp was stable at 1150 before bed, with the fan on auto/low.

This morning the stove still had sizable coals that were red-hot at 6:30am! A fresh split caught fire in 3-5 minutes, without having to have the door open. Last year, I was loading the stove 100% full and waking up to lukewarm ash, and I had to basically babysit it while I got a new fire started up with the door open.

I can't say how much of the difference is due to letting the wood season outdoors in the sun and wind for another year, and how much is due to the restrictor plate, but I am MUCH happier with this stove now!

I'll update again after a few more overnight burns, and then once I finally make a block-off plate.

If you have this stove and didn't get the Condar catalyst thermometer installed....DO IT! :)

Reactions: davidmsem
Our installer was just here (second year with this stove), and when I asked about a block-off plate, he said it wasn't necessary because the top was insulated/sealed. Why is your opinion different from that? Just curious...
It is physics.....The more energy you trap at the insert, the more that will be released into your home. Why heat the chimney?

Update on my experiment from last season....

This is the start of season 2 for my Ci2600 insert. I had it installed last season, in January. Mine came with the restrictor plate and seemed to be working pretty well, but I soon realized that one can actually move the restrictor upwards to make the "boost air" hole even smaller. In fact you can slide the restrictor plate up high enough to completely close it off. So I have since adjusted the size of the opening to about 1/8th of the size of the hole in the restrictor plate - pretty darn small. It's about half the size of a #2 pencil eraser. I also added the thermometer that measures exhaust temp. It's slightly harder to light from cold - have to leave the door open a few additional minutes but overall the stove is definitely running longer than it was before. I was getting 10 hours easy last year, but now I'm getting 12 hours on about 85-90% full load. At hour 12 exhaust temp is 350-400 degrees with a nice red hot coal bed. I am also seeing more "lazy" flames and more secondaries. After 12 hours I can add a few small-to-medium size splits and I have nice fire in 5 minutes. I have also looked at the chimney output with the smaller amount of boost air and no change there - no smoke once the stove has reached operating temperature. I am really loving this stove!

SB

What size splits are people using? I know it'll take up to 20 (22?) inch, but with the wedge shape of the box, that isn't working out too well for me. Any thoughts on ideal lengths?

What size splits are people using? I know it'll take up to 20 (22?) inch, but with the wedge shape of the box, that isn't working out too well for me. Any thoughts on ideal lengths?
Just load it east west 18 inches in the back 22 inches in the front.

Fortunately I have a mix of lengths so the short stuff goes in back and the long stuff in front.

We've started burning on some cold weekends. These have been our first burns since installing the restrictor over the summer and I'm thrilled with the results. Now I get eight hours easy without really trying to pack the firebox. The fires even look nicer without the boost air blazing holes into the wood like a blow torch. With the air more restricted fires burn more evenly and you get a really attractive fire to watch through that big window.

It's amazing how much difference such a simple fix has made.

Here goes my first post; I just hope that I'm posting in the correct place. I have the Regency CI 2600 installed and working and BTW many of you helped me make that purchase, so thanks everyone for the help. :)

In the last 3 weeks, I've seen burn cycles in the range of 12-14 hours after loading the insert with 8-9 logs and waiting for the temperature to reach 500 or above before turning off the draft and engaging the cat. The cat begins glowing and stays that way for approximately 3 - 4 hours before it stops glowing and the temp falls below 500. The fire is still putting out plenty of heat, but I can't help wondering how effective the cat is if it stops glowing after only 3-4 hours.

So here are my questions:

(1) Does the Catalytic Converter have to glow to be effective?
(2) How long should I expect to see the Catalytic Converter glowing during the burn cycle?

Here goes my first post; I just hope that I'm posting in the correct place. I have the Regency CI 2600 installed and working and BTW many of you helped me make that purchase, so thanks everyone for the help. :)

In the last 3 weeks, I've seen burn cycles in the range of 12-14 hours after loading the insert with 8-9 logs and waiting for the temperature to reach 500 or above before turning off the draft and engaging the cat. The cat begins glowing and stays that way for approximately 3 - 4 hours before it stops glowing and the temp falls below 500. The fire is still putting out plenty of heat, but I can't help wondering how effective the cat is if it stops glowing after only 3-4 hours.

So here are my questions:

(1) Does the Catalytic Converter have to glow to be effective?
(2) How long should I expect to see the Catalytic Converter glowing during the burn cycle?
No the cat does not need to glow at all times as long as the temp is 500 the cat is active. I'm glad your enjoying the stove. Feel free to ask any questions.

I have also read that once your fire has burnt down to hot coals the catalyst will fall below the active temperature. It's ok to leave the coals to burn to ash because at that point the fire is putting out little smoke.

I have also read that once your fire has burnt down to hot coals the catalyst will fall below the active temperature. It's ok to leave the coals to burn to ash because at that point the fire is putting out little smoke.
Yes that is correct as long as you have seasoned wood.

How do you adjust the door on the hinge side? I starded a thread for that but didn't get the answer. There is two lock washers on the hinge on my door but the way I'm seeing it, it is not gonna tighten the door. I removed a shim on the latch side but the glass is still getting black.
image.jpeg

How do you adjust the door on the hinge side? I starded a thread for that but didn't get the answer. There is two lock washers on the hinge on my door but the way I'm seeing it, it is not gonna tighten the door. I removed a shim on the latch side but the glass is still getting black.View attachment 166613
The glass will go black when you have small slow fires the bottom corners. When the temps drop the glass will clean it self. If you open the air a little more it will help with the glass. As far as taking washers off on the door do the dollar bill test.

Status
Not open for further replies.