AH US stove 6039 shot flames right out manual damper door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lporter

Jan 7, 2014
ohio
Ok. newbies here but have spent hours reading every single thread on us stove 6039 (and even 6041 since same control panel and this seems new.

Installed stove w horiz vent. Good Oak. Followed schoondog and scoops settings and made it thru central ohio 40 below windchill for couple days. Stayed up all night watching sucker since new to pellets. Grew up in Intl Falls Minn so used to wood. Until now have had NO furnace--only 2 Edenpures to heat 900 sq ft home so been bit chilly even for me! (Ardent protest against outrageous propane gouging 2 yrs ago so we r done. Ecstatic about pellet stove heat. Then started burning up all fuel in agitator and went out err 2 (low limit). Took everything apart inside except blowers (no replacement gaskets) and cleaned religiously. Still worked only hour then not enough pellets and agitator stopped. Black soot on glass. Replaced gasket on door. Worked better but then acted like not unloading enough pellets to get good burn. Turned to manual. Ran all hr settings. Reset all controls to test on every level. Would run auger manual by pushing on button but then agitator stopped and fire would go out unless sat there and held button all night.

In desperation ladt night to stay warmer than 48 degrees while working. I opened stove door. Ckeaned crappy pellets that seem bit long out of hopper and added fresh hardwood. Or so they say. .Dumped scoop of pellets in burnpot. Fire smothered so hubby pulled out manual damper. Fire ignited blew flame out the front damper. Made a large bang that blew soot right off inside of glass door and scared 10 years w big flames all around outtside of burnpot.

After sufficiently scolding hubby for new gray singed hairs.we both noticed fire was blazing like day one and we had BLESSED HEAT!!

First. We have adjusted manual damper but just burned faster-- cleaner window but fire went out eventually. No overfilling burnpots. . I wish!!!

Two. What the heck would do BETTER after an explosion and raging fire in first place.

Three. Can feed rate be changed on6039 w more modern control panel.or is there something else we can test or bypass.. Hubby very handy mechanically w good tools so we want to keep it like u love an old chevy. And trusting this forum to steer us safely around quicksand traps! thanks!!

Ps A daily explosion is NOT an option but tired of cold

Four. Can feed rate be changed on newer

When stove first fired up on settings hr 3.
Rf 8, df 2, aux 1 and also on auto hr 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not familiar with this stove but it sounds like a back drafting issue perhaps due to the lack of vertical in the exhaust pipe.

The stove was starved for air and opening the damper allowed oxygen to flow and it ignited. Adjust your damper per manual. Does the stove increase the pellet feed as you adjust the heat level higher? Check the auger motor set screw. It should be lined up with the flat spot on the auger let us know

You are 100% correct begreen, on that unit (and the 6041 which is mine) it is REQUIRED you have at least 3 feet vertical pipe. When you put in the 90 you might want to use a clean out tee. This will be handy when vent cleaning time rolls around. Putting in a fresh air intake pipe might also be helpful (depends on your draftyness in your house) that is the 2" cutout on the rear of the unit. That can be run straight out just keep it below the exhaust. when you run the fresh air pipe you might want to put in some sort of valve so you can adjust air flow rate. could be helpful as well.

As far as feed rates and adjustment...you can adjust ALOT with that board. That being said to can over adjust it too. best to get the venting right 1st I'll try and find a link to the adjustments and post it for you

Ok. After taking close look at tech manual and thinking about explosion due to lack of oxygen-- took stove off auto and set to HR 5. Auto room fan, draft fan 5 and aux 1 since burning fuel fast without needing to stir more. pulled manual draft out 2 inches. Still burns up pellets completely b4 next pellet drop but otherwise Sucker burned perfectly for 3 days until we shut it off to check burnpot and clean before big snowstorm hit last night. Has now been running great for 24 hours and house has went from 32 degrees to 65 with room with stove staying about 77.

Few things. I noticed that if draft/negative pressure/flame all right then light above draft fan button DOES NOT BLINK. It seems to blink at different rate when there is a problem and wondering if this means something such as fast blink means needs air and slow means getting too much?? Anyone know? Also once pull manual draft out all the way, if flame gets lazy what next? Move up a number on draft fan?

Thanks for all help-- would have froze in this storm without you all and this site!!

If the light above the draft fan is blinking it means pressure problem. Could be door or glass gasket or something in the exhaust end. Still thinking if you add one 90 elbow and 3-4 vertical pipe it would run much better.

Update--Wont believe this! We kept straight horizontal vent pipe configuration because have an upstairs window that may be problem w vertical pipe. Soooo followed us stove specs with only 4 ft max and purchased high end horizontal vent cap. Followed specs for rodent screen. Followed all posts from this site and changed door gasket, etc. Still would only run for 6-8 hours and draft light would start blinking. Had only been running about 8 times and each time we cleaned inside of stove, blowers. EVERYTHING just to keep going. On a fluke in snowstorm I walked outside to feed birds and tapped horizontal cap and found the rodent screen was clogged solid with hard, black crust!!! We ripped the whole cap off end and voila!!!! Been running like a charm on full automatic hr 3 or hr 5 for two weeks with not a bit of trouble!!! (I will put elbow or cap without rodent screen back on for safety later, but for now No lights blinking, barely open manual damper and wonderful heat!!! Exactly as Schoondog said in his posts--the US Stove 6039 is bit tricky to figure out but what a wonderful workhorse once you do!! Burning crap pellets since box stores all out and stopped to clean it once-not because we had to--I wouldnt trade it yet for anything and sure appreciate all the IM info. Priceless!! So if your 6039 or 6041 doesnt fill pellet box fast enough or if shuts off with error 2 code-DONT GIVE UP! Follow everything this site tells you and you must get the pressure/vacuum/combustion just right and then just let her eat pellets! Got 900 sq foot 150 yr old house with hole in ceiling to help heat upstairs up to70 degrees! I know, bit pellet piggy w that! But if we can install a used $500 pellet stove and get it working then ANYONE can do it with the help of this site!!

Status
Not open for further replies.