Air intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tshelton1

Jan 6, 2018
I have a King Wood furnace in my garage that has recently started blowing smoke threw the duct work. I have the furnace apart and found a hole in the fire box that I patched.

I have never known of an intake air adjustment on this furnace. Is there any other air intake other than the small hole on the door. I have the entire thing apart and cant find anything unless it would be on the bottom and feed from the cold air return? I was just wondering because the one in my house has a chain and flap on the back to adjust the air.

Yeah I have all the sides off of it and inspected all of the fire box there were 2 places that I patched. It would fill the whole garage with smoke before it would start pulling up the chimney good. It did it all last year and I finally got time to look at it.

It's in my garage so I wasn't worried about it at first but now it is fixed.

Mine is similar to the one in the picture but has no intake on the back like that one. I can't find anywhere it pulls air into the fire ox but the door. I have some pictures on my phone from when I was working on it. I'l post them to show you.

Attachments

• 20180107_092010.jpg
    20180107_092010.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 20180107_092050.jpg
    20180107_092050.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 20180107_092058.jpg
    20180107_092058.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 20180107_092039.jpg
    20180107_092039.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 149
It looks like the lower door has a forced draft fan for a thermostat, and there's an intake in the upper door? That thing looks like a dinosaur! I'm sure it heats well, but looks like it's hungry.

It is the old one out of my house. It was put in the house in the early 90's. Heats very well but ever since I put it in my garage it seems like it could use more air. The draft fan works but does not seem to have much effect. The opening on the door is so small and there is no way to leave it open. I have just been leaving the ash pan door open when I run it. I figured maybe someone on here new something I was missing.

Your garage could be much tighter than the home. I usually don't recommend an outdoor air intake, but maybe in this situation.

Thank you for all the feedback. My garage isn't very air tight and has lots of gabs between the doors. I have been considering running the cold air return outside but I didnt know if that would help since it just feeds the blower and does not actually feed the firebox.

I wouldn't do that. It's just an old design that looks to be operated off of a thermostat. Are you burning truly seasoned wood?