Air leak Napoleon S4

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fireoak

Aug 28, 2019
CT
I have a 3 year old S4 that seems to have developed an air leak. My first thought was to change the door gasket which i did. It was holding a dollar bill firmly in most spots but questionable in some. Now its tighter ( i can still pull the bill out but its pretty firm). I also tightened the door latch by stretching the spring a bit. I did not change the gasket on the glass because it looks fine and the door gasket was also fine so I figured the leak is from elsewhere. I just opened up the air damper mechanism and it seems to be all working fine. Since this stove is fairly new and i have never abused it. Im thinking it could be the ash dump? Anyone have an ash dump door be an air leak source.
I never use the ash dump as i find it useless. Seems easier to just shovel out the ash from the fire box. I used it once or twice in the beginning but not in a few years. I did clean the entire stove a few week back and made sure there is not debris in the ash dump door and it does snap closed.

Any thoughts??

What are the symptoms that you are seeing? If there's a nice bed of ash on the firebox floor that covers the ashtrap, it may be fine, especially after you cleaned and inspected this. One thing to check is the air control mechanism if you can get a visual on it. On some stoves there is a pivot point for the air valve and the pivot point screw loosens up, causing sloppy closure of the air.