Air Stone from lowes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tadgh

Jan 11, 2015
New Jersey
Anyone use Airstone on wall behind a wood stove? Thinking of using it and was looking for some positives/negatives from anyone with experience using it. Installing a jotul oslo wood stove.

If this is a pure cement product then it should be ok.

Look up the msds and see what's in it. If foam is in it I would treat it as a combustible. It might not burn but I wouldn't want it outgassing either.

I looked at AirStone also. Seems a little pricey for me.
The corner pieces were $$$$$$$! Though they may not be needed in all back-wall hearth installs.

On the plus side, it seems like it would be VERY easy to install. Easy to cut and glue up. Light too.

I opened a box to feel it. It seems like a "plaster" type product more than cement. Definitely didn't seem like foam to me. :confused:

I noticed they sell TWO different colors also. Brown/tan. And Grey/slate mix.

Look up the msds and see what's in it. If foam is in it I would treat it as a combustible. It might not burn but I wouldn't want it outgassing either.
This in on the website
AirStone is non-flammable, non-combustible and safe to use around wood stoves and fireplaces. It has a Class A rating in accordance with ASTM E-84 standards. AirStone Interior Adhesive is rated up to a temperature of 120˚F, and AirStone Exterior Adhesive (which can be used indoors) is rated up to a temperature of 300˚F.
SECTION 5 – FIRE FIGHTING MEASURES
Flash Point: None Flash Point Method: Not applicable
Upper Flammability Limit: Not applicable Lower Flammability Limit: Not applicable
Flammability Classification: Non-flammable Auto Ignition Temp: Not applicable
Extinguishing Media:
Use any extinguishing media appropriate for the surrounding fires.
Unusual Fire & Explosion Hazards:
None identified.
Fire-Fighting Instructions:
Use self-contained breath apparatus (SCBA) and protective clothing ensemble as defined in NFPA 1500.

SECTION 2 – COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
CAS# Component
65997-15-1 Cement
Not Available Non-hazardous ingredients
Proprietary Filler
1309-37-1 Iron Oxide

Does anyone know what the proprietary fill is in the air stone? When I looked at it at lowes it looks like little white balls. I don't want there to be any off gasses as mentioned above.

It sounds like it is something similar to air entrained concrete. From the Portland site: Air-entrained concrete contains billions of microscopic air cells per cubic foot.
If they have figured out how to maximize the air, it would be very light.

The problem I see would be the cement. If the max. temp is 120::F, that seems to be combustible to me. It depends how picky an inspector might be. My rear wall is 6" away with a heat shield and does not get that hot but it is over 100.

I've used it with great success, easy to install and looks fantastic.. I used the outside apoxy though instead of the indoor. The outdoor is rated to 300 degrees.

If it is a concrete product, I would try using mortar. Can't see why it wouldn't work but since I have not seen the product, not sure. It would be a lot cheaper and fire rated but not as strong a bond as epoxy. Can't see needing that strong a bond myself though.

I just went with what the product called for , no sense in having headaches down the line just in case another method didn't work as stated. I utilized the outside apoxy mainly for the temperature insurance, did not want stone falling off the walls a year of two down the line. Also the outside apoxy comes in tubes which made applying alot easier.

Air Stone from lowes

I just went with what the product called for , no sense in having headaches down the line just in case another method didn't work as stated. I utilized the outside apoxy mainly for the temperature insurance, did not want stone falling off the walls a year of two down the line. Also the outside apoxy comes in tubes which made applying alot easier.

Grimlock if you have any pictures that would be awesome.!

Status
Not open for further replies.