Alderlea T5 - How Much Wood Will I Need?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dispatcher101

Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2009
Colorado
This will be my first full season with my Alderlea T5. (LOVE THE STOVE!!!) Put it in last year in November and got wood here and there where I could and honestly don't know how much I really went through.

I am burning pine here in Colorado; am planning on burning 24/7. Currently have 3 cords dry;split and ready to go. How much more should I expect to go through?...to be honest I am tired of splitting...but can't wait to light the stove off again.

Thanks in advance.

What is your house like, sq ft, insulated blah blah blah.

IIRC, this is a big house. I'd have 5-6 cords on hand to start with, but actual consumption is just a guess. It depends on how large an area is being heated and at what temperature and for how long a season.

Dispatcher, I don't know where you're at, but I start burning in Sept. and go through May- if not longer. 3 cord isn't gonna cut it. If you have a truck and trailer, and don't mind a bit of driving, I can help out.

I'd figure 4-6 cord per year but it's always good to be a year ahead if you have the room.

How much wood should you have?

Hard telling, not knowing . . . to quote the old Maine Yankee.

Truth is there are a lot of variables here . . . your own climate, house size and insulation, how you plan to burn, fuel type, etc. I know that burning 24/7 here in Maine from September/October to April/May in a 1970s vintage home (1,800 square feet Cape) with a moderate amount of insulation I go through 4-6 cords of hard wood . . . but this may not help you much if you live in Colorado, have a house that is smaller or larger, like temps cooler/hotter and are using softwood for fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.