Alderlea T5 owners can you tell me if this is normal *Photo included*

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdurando

Feb 24, 2008
Hamilton NJ
Unfortunately do to several delays in my renovation, it is February and i have not used my stove yet. this weekend i am completing the chimney installation and i set the stove in place today and noticed the top slants to the front. i don't remember this on the floor moder i saw and i was wondering if any of you have this too. There also appears to be two washers under the top creating the pitch on one side is this spoused to be this way or is it adjustable. this is how it came off the create. thanks for the info.

John
sideviewt5.jpg

Our T6 seems to be the opposite, the trivet gap increases toward the front.

the placement of the washers makes me think the pitch is intentional or a correction of a mistake but i have not seen many side photos of t5's and i don't remember it in the showroom. if it is something i can adjust i would like to bring it more toward level?

The rear plate is elevated, the cast plate on the rear top of your stove looks way elevated compared to my t6, the gap between that plate and the side is ~ 1/4" where on yours it looks ~ 3/4". I would monkey with the set screw/nut that is visible on your picture if it really bothers your....

Attachments

• t6-trivet.jpg
    t6-trivet.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 550
It's a bit hard to take a side picture with a corner install. This is the best I could get. It's substantially lower in the back than your T5.

Attachments

• T6_side_top.jpg
    T6_side_top.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 531
PE has a bit of work to do with their sloppy assembly line. The stoves seem to be well engineered but sloppy assembly will turn off a lot of less technically endowed folks. It would only cost a few $ to make a gage out of some 1/8" steel plate to help the assembly line workers assemble the cast iron bits and dial them in until they get consistent fit up.

Are you guys serious? These stoves are supposed to have that hideous gap between the castings? Is there a reason that the top casting doesn't just set down on the ears of the side castings?

I know we can't expect perfection but cripes, that top should be level and the whole thing should be square and tight. Imagine buying a nice new automobile and having a hood or door seam with an uneven gap like that.

Please tell me that this is intentional.

Is the casting done in China?

Highbeam said:
Are you guys serious? These stoves are supposed to have that hideous gap between the castings? Is there a reason that the top casting doesn't just set down on the ears of the side castings?

I know we can't expect perfection but cripes, that top should be level and the whole thing should be square and tight. Imagine buying a nice new automobile and having a hood or door seam with an uneven gap like that.

Please tell me that this is intentional.

What you're seeing is the gap between the movable trivet top and the main stove. The gap is intentional and keeps the trivet top at a more moderate temperature than the stove surface. This is great for simmering, and a gentler heat off the top. If you want the full heat, just swing out the top wings and you're right on the stove top.

I would expect the dealer to set check this gap. It appears that my good dealer did.

scroll down to see the hinged trivet top:
http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/pacaldert6.htm

I understand that the top partially pivots out on those larger hinges just to the front of the adjustment bolt. I also understand that the cast top and sides are just panels attached to a steel plate stove. Why in the world don't the castings allow for the hinge clearance without jacking up the whole stove top unevenly? Those ears on the side panel appear to built to support the top.

There must be some reason for this slop. PE is a decent company.

Status
Not open for further replies.