All set for next season.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mech e

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2019
NorCal
www.dtengineer.com
My SIL just dropoed off our wood for next season. Just need to get it stacked with my cord left over from last year and I am all set.

20200721_191808.jpg

Nice. Is the wood already dry or is it green?

I love the freedom and warm days of summer, and how much time I get to work on my wood piles. But when doing so I can't help but want it to be chilly enough to start using it.
I love the warm/hot weather as well, but I also enjoy not feeding the beast at 5:00 AM and 5:00 PM every day. The best thing about summer to me is being able to work on projects/wood cutting after getting home from work. When it gets dark at 5:30 PM in the late fall and winter, the only time I have to work on wood is on the weekends. I do plan on having all the wood cut and split by burning season this year and only worry about hauling enough wood next to my stove in the short evening hours or weekends.

It sounds weird but I admit to doing the same.

It does seam weird, but I'm weird so its kinda normal. All of my wood sits in sheds and stacked nicely. It really does look pretty.. I look at the different spices, love the cherry. There just something about it that makes it appealing.

Reactions: Highbeam
I can't really say I sit and admire my pretty stacks. Other than one shed where I can stack about 3 cords, my wood is just in piles since the area I put it is so sloped. It goes pretty quick once I get to burning it, so the piles just get pitched down the hill a bit and stacked somewhat in a small covered shed and next to it. I have plenty of space, so no real advantage to stacking. I do admire some of the neatly stacked all the same size wood stacks I see others post though. Maybe someday

I can't really say I sit and admire my pretty stacks. Other than one shed where I can stack about 3 cords, my wood is just in piles since the area I put it is so sloped. It goes pretty quick once I get to burning it, so the piles just get pitched down the hill a bit and stacked somewhat in a small covered shed and next to it. I have plenty of space, so no real advantage to stacking. I do admire some of the neatly stacked all the same size wood stacks I see others post though. Maybe someday
Yeah my stacks aren’t real nice as I don’t measure my bucks so I get different length rounds. If I ever get another grapple load I’ll measure my cuts though. Right now I’m cutting up some trees the power company took down across the street and it’s enough to just get it cut and into the ATV trailer. My junk looks like this. BTW, each rack holds a little more than two face cord of wood.

AB0916ED-341A-46A2-A4AA-45A1F839A75A.jpeg
2EC29A79-2A3D-478D-B08D-DE78B80BAA46.jpeg
F06176C0-C1A3-40F4-B993-2D1F6600C63A.jpeg

Always said my wood is for burning . . . not for looking at . . . so it doesn't have to be all that pretty as long as it is well seasoned and ready to be burned.

None of my stacks are pretty either. But i do find myself admiring them, knowing i will be warm during the cold months.

Reactions: Prof and JimBear
It does seam weird, but I'm weird so its kinda normal. All of my wood sits in sheds and stacked nicely. It really does look pretty.. I look at the different spices, love the cherry. There just something about it that makes it appealing.
Henry David Thoreau
“Every man looks upon his wood pile with a sort of affection.”

I do like to sit and watch mine dry -- sometimes it takes 2 or 3 beers.
1597773048199.png

• Haha
Reactions: LiamFitzpatrick
A few days ago I moved in the years supply into the garage and leanto. 4-5cord. In the process, I noticed a few of those little yellow jacket bees. Was able to get all I needed, all the while gingerly taking pcs off the top until just a few were left. Even got stung a few times, but nothing to really worry about. Bees are my friends. Last night decided to kick over the remaining dozen pcs, just because, and to get the hornets to disperse a little. Woho ho ho, hah hah hah, run like hell, just uncovered a basket ball size nest of a 10thousand of the nasty things. Lucky I didn't have a face in there grabbing a few splits.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 257
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    621.3 KB · Views: 254
It was just about time to pop a Benadryl.

A few days ago I moved in the years supply into the garage and leanto. 4-5cord. In the process, I noticed a few of those little yellow jacket bees. Was able to get all I needed, all the while gingerly taking pcs off the top until just a few were left. Even got stung a few times, but nothing to really worry about. Bees are my friends. Last night decided to kick over the remaining dozen pcs, just because, and to get the hornets to disperse a little. Woho ho ho, hah hah hah, run like hell, just uncovered a basket ball size nest of a 10thousand of the nasty things. Lucky I didn't have a face in there grabbing a few splits.
I once cut I to a hollow maple log from a pile of wood that a logger had given me since it wasn’t enough to put on a truck and there was a wasp nest in it. Man I got stung all over even in my shoes. They were PO’d lol, I’ll never forget it.

Reactions: Sawset
While we live in suburbia and there are few aside from us with much wood stacked (and we don’t have so much as many here but definitely three+ years worth for us), friends who haven’t seen our wood stacks are definitely given a tour. It’s amazing how many people don’t know the importance of seasoning wood or not transporting wood too far.

My neighbor has burned wet wood for years. So wet that he would need to leave the door cracked open on his PE.. He went through alot of wood also. He started to actually let me help him out. I went over with a couple beers and a moisture meter. showed him the difference between wet wood and dry wood told him about different speices have different BTUs. I gave him a wheelbarrow full of.my wood. He came over after burning my wood and said how much of a difference there is between his and mine.. He is now building his 2nd wood shed..
Lots of people don't realize how unseasoned there wood is

@Sawset, Good to hear you had minimal injuries. Could have been worse. They can be very defensive this time of year. A friend was working in the woods the other day and they sent him running, and he is not one to run anywhere.

@Sawset, Good to hear you had minimal injuries. Could have been worse. They can be very defensive this time of year. A friend was working in the woods the other day and they sent him running, and he is not one to run anywhere.
I've read about how their underground nests can get huge, and how road crews grading into them can get nailed pretty good. Hearing and seeing the ground boil really brings the fight or flight instinct full focus. Run fast. Run long. Don't look back.

Reactions: Gearhead660