Almost time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJ273

Minister of Fire
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
Does anyone else have anxiety about the first few burns of the season? I find myself constantly checking things and re-assuring myself everything is safe. After a few fires I get more comfortable. But those first few always seem a little nerve racking to me

Reactions: ispinwool
You are not alone. The first fire doesn't bother me, but the first time I leave home with a hot stove in the house gives me a little anxiety.. I won't leave it when it is in the off-gassing stage with strong secondaries.... just when it is coaling or approaching that stage. Even so, it makes me nervous and I check and recheck stuff before I go.

Reactions: ispinwool
Have had one fire so far . . . no worries . . . but at this point I have been running this stove for 13 years so we know each other intimately (for example I know my stove prefers to have the side door ajar at the start, needs the nearby window open just a dite in the early Fall and late Spring and enjoys cool fall nights . . . and walks on the beach.)

We've had a couple fires now. After 11 seasons with the stove, starting up in fall is a non-event. It burns just like it always does. This year might be a bit more interesting as we are going to burning through a stash of 2-3 yr old mixed hardwoods. There's everything from apple and cherry to eucalyptus and holly in the stack. The first to burn will be all the uglies on the top of the pile. That should mean more heat, but also more ash emptying. I am spoiled by burning doug fire, but that is 2 rows back in the shed.

Hey I'm nervous even before my first fire on my stove...When it starts I will not leave the house until it is "out"--at least until I get used to it and get to know what I am doing..lol clancey

Have had one fire so far . . . no worries . . . but at this point I have been running this stove for 13 years so we know each other intimately (for example I know my stove prefers to have the side door ajar at the start, needs the nearby window open just a dite in the early Fall and late Spring and enjoys cool fall nights . . . and walks on the beach.)
lol. What is the favorite drink of your stove that begets the right mood?

75 F here again today...

Tonight will be the first night. I will sit by it for a few hours looking over before bed, but likely wont be worried. Cleaned it this past weekend and blew out the blower fan. Just need to wipe the glass. Hoping only a few fires to keep the chill out over the next few weeks. Wednesday looks like 73 here.