Alright, I give in..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ssyko.....My Quad’s firepot has been filling up with ash more lately...In could be because it has been running a lot more,,,,we have had single digit temps for days,,, or I changed pellet brands......I’ve had to empty it almost daily,,,,Not really a problem is it.???

Other wise I’ll just blame that’s new vacuum switch you made me buy,

no shouldn't be an issue. iv'e been having a big issue with the pellets available up here in the north east. this is my quad cleaned around 6ish wed. and this is a pic 24 hours later. i have never had such dirty pellets in 20 years of burning. and i have 40 bags left of these:( Logik-E

5D7F81A7-F338-4A81-8711-0D3C59AF26A5.jpeg

Last edited:
no shouldn't be an issue. iv'e been having a big issue with the pellets available up here in the north east. this is my quad cleaned around 6ish wed. and this is a pic 24 hours later. i have never had such dirty pellets in 20 years of burning.
View attachment 242099

Thank you,, I have pretty much the same situation and time wise.. I did change pellets,,,,so that must be the problem,,,

So guess I can’t blame you.............lol

Thanks again for all your help and patience,

It's all good! ;)

Yes, the ash is fine and powdery, it isn’t clumping,,,,,I just have to empty it more often,,,the pellets I had been using, which didn’t do this...........the plant burned down and I ran out of the ton I had from them...guess I just got spoiled.
I don’t know where else that ash would go,,,,,just build up like that, I guess.

SSyko.............New Problem.! My igniter is not coming on,,,,,that’s the coil type thing that ignites the pellets... Ity usually glows red and they start to burn,,,,,,nothing is happening,,,It is remaining cold..

What do you suggest?

take it out of the stove and use a test cord in the outlet and see if it comes on. is yours the ceramic or cast iron pot?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mt Bob
can you post a picture of the pot.an aged cast pot may look like its ceramic. if it truly uses the loop igniter they are very reasonably priced.

I can post a picture of the pot tomorrow... I think it is ceramic because 12 years ago when I had it rebuilt the dealer said he had to replace the original pot with a ceramic one. Anyway the loop igniter looks like the ones that are listed on ebay for $15., so I can get one and see how it works,,,??? What do you think..??

15 bucks id try it.

Not a Quad guy,but I still think you are wrong,a bit.About the time you got your unit rebuilt.Quad did away with the ceramic burn pot.Many thousands of them cracked.The updated pot also burns better.I am pretty sure I have said this before.Youre unit came with a ceramic pot.However,all this information is available online.If you do have a ceramic burn pot this is the igniter you need-- https://www.stove-parts-unlimited.c...0i-pellet-stoves-812-0180-p/812-0180.htm..You can use their site or others,to verify.

Thank you. Bob bare, I looked at that site, and what they call the loop igniter is exactly, what I have,, so it seems the right thing to replace it with,/
Yes, I may be confused about the burn pots,,,, Will take a much closer look at mine tomorrw, to see if it is ceramic or cast.

Still, I went ahead and ordered that ignitor, because it is only $15 and looks like what I have.

Reactions: Mt Bob
I’ve been following your post and read what you you guys said about dirty pellets creating more ash. I have a 2010 Harman Advance and have burned pellets from Lowe’s and Home Depot and haven’t had very good luck with them. The place I purchased the stove from sells hardwood pellets so three years ago I figured I’d give them a try. They were $240 a ton compared to $219 at Lowe’s but I will say they are the best I’ve ever burned and I would pay even more for them if I had to. They are Valfei Ambiance pellets from Canada. I live in upstate NY and started using the stove in October this past fall and I’m almost through 4 tons so far and just cleaned the stove for the 4th time this winter. Its my only source of heat for a 2000 sq ft house which is pretty good I think. I would look around to see if you can purchase these pellets close to wherever you guys live for next season.
Good luck and thanks for helping everyone out

Yeah i was thinking it had to be cast. Yes they aren’t difficult to change.

:rolleyes:

SSyko,,,,Did you expect anything different???..........lol

One new thing I’m trying,,,, to empty that fluffy ash buildup we talked about earlier....I have a Pyrex baking dish,,,I use under my fire pot,,, I can empty the ash buildup into that anytime I want, and just fire it up again,,,,take the ash outside to dispose of, and I’m good to go.

Yep,your cheap igniter may have failed,because of quality,or,your ignitor control is bad,keeping power to the igniter all the time.You can always light the stove manually,after it warms up a bit,check for voltage to the igniter wires.

Yep,your cheap igniter may have failed,because of quality,or,your ignitor control is bad,keeping power to the igniter all the time.You can always light the stove manually,after it warms up a bit,check for voltage to the igniter wires.

Alright, thanks will do...check the voltage to the wires, tomorrow morning,,, what voltage should it be.....??