Alternative Uses for Fireplace Inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don H

Feeling the Heat
Aug 19, 2015
Maryland
The discussion on another thread about the number of relatively inexpensive inserts for sale had me thinking if there is some way to modify or use these stoves in an alternate way. Examples would be converting one to a smoker or outdoor fireplace.

Has anyone seen or done a project like this?
What are some ideas for alternate uses.

They are ugly outside the hearth no matter what you do.

Insert Conversion 2.jpg Insert Conversion 1.jpg

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Too hot with all the heat radiated from air jacket plus exhaust going through the smoker. Maybe drilling holes through the outer jacket at rear behind the oven would allow more heat to escape or add vertical tubes like 1 1/2 or 2 inch chimneys to draft the heat away, using the front inlet and outlet as intakes. He could probably cool it down with wet hickory chunks for meat, (225 for pork, 250 chicken) but way too hot for cheese. Nothing over 90* f for that. Racks added on the sides at the top where the smoke exits may be cool enough to catch smoke without the heat.
It does look better than most on Craigslist !

I could have used one in the back of my truck to get me home in the snow, sleet and freezing rain today! I was thinking, low center of gravity, fill it with solid block or brick, yeah, then I need a 3/4 ton.