Am I good to use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pbilt717

Oct 8, 2023
Kansas
I just got my stove installed and I’m hoping to use this weekend. I have most of the wall put up but it’s in the teens and single digits now. From wall to rear stove shield is 6.5 inches. This is a Vermont Casting Defiant model 1975 non-catalytic.
IMG_3706.jpeg

I just got my stove installed and I’m hoping to use this weekend. I have most of the wall put up but it’s in the teens and single digits now. From wall to rear stove shield is 6.5 inches. This is a Vermont Casting Defiant model 1975 non-catalytic.View attachment 322640
What are the required Clearances to combustibles?

I just got my stove installed and I’m hoping to use this weekend. I have most of the wall put up but it’s in the teens and single digits now. From wall to rear stove shield is 6.5 inches. This is a Vermont Casting Defiant model 1975 non-catalytic.View attachment 322640

Im not being mean at all when I say this. I dont see a heat shield for the stove pipe. your pretty close to the wall ..You definitely should be reading the manual.. what does it state for distance to combustibles..

From cement board to back of stove pipe is 8.5 inches. Manual is saying from center of flue collar to protected surfaces is 9” on single wall. It is 21” on unprotected surfaces. Are you thinking I need a heat shield on my stove pipe facing the wall? My installer went through the manual thoroughly and looked online as well. I have tried contacting the dealer in the area before install but never got an answer or call back.

I have a manual. It’s measuring to the center so I should be good then. I’ve ordered pipe shield to install to be on the safe side. It is cement board on spacers. I have the top piece to install. Didn’t have help when I put the other two pieces up and that last piece is too high to hold and attach by myself.

Thanks for the replies. We used the stove and according to a probe behind the cement board it got to 130, while room temp was about 80. I ordered a heat shield for my pipe to be on the safe side. I also got a stove top thermometer as VC wants me to go off it instead of the chimney.