Am I wasting my time with this wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hunter8282

Mar 14, 2024
Michigan
Blow down in a swampy wet area. Been done for several years. Trying to salvage it. Were wax worms in it. Most of the bark came off. A little bit of it turned punky but I tried to split most of that off and leave it. I was hoping if I get it out to sunny high ground I can salvage it. 😁 I don't think I'll try to cut anymore of it out. The log next to the one I cut is in worse shape.
Screenshot_20240407_070036.jpgScreenshot_20240407_070058.jpgScreenshot_20240407_070131.jpg

I think it's fine.
Free BTUs, no falling needed, and comes preloaded with drying channels.
Just be aware that it might not burn as long as a good load of oak...

Reactions: Riff and Slimdusty
Ash wood and it looks sound. Take it if it's not difficult to get.
With EAB plus native borers most ash will have some type of borer. It doesn't look like EAB. Perhaps redheaded ash borer (Neoclytus acuminatus) ?
Split and stack it and borers will move out as it seasons and certainly before the time you burn it. Even if they were to hatch indoors not a threat to the home.

Reactions: Riff and Slimdusty
The smaller branches with higher bark to wood precentage is going to rot quicker. Stick to dealing with the trunk and it will yield better wood and let the smaller stuff rot in the woods.

White birch has the reputation that it dies standing so anything downed is going be rotten. I always tag it with my chainsaw just in case and 1 out of 10 trees I get some real nice dry wood. The other 9 ot of ten are punk.