American Holly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EJP1234

Burning Hunk
Mar 19, 2015
Greensboro, MD
where I live in Delmarva this tree is beyond prolific... Anyways I am thinning out a portion of our woods behind the house so we can enjoy seeing the wildlife better, the hollys choke the woods out a good bit. Most of the trunks on these are 5-8" wiide for the first 10-15', and a few are actually big trees with 20" wide trunks... For those of you who have never had the chance to burn Holly, or over looked it, do yourself a favor and try it... Great burning wood, and very clean handling due to the bark being like beech! I will have about a cord and a half from this project, though it takes a good bit of trees to get there due to their initial size.

I have burned Holly on occasion and was impressed as it burned nicely and threw good heat; has a nice white grain to it. Don't get it much, but when I see rounds or pieces of it in the local compost sites I take it.

Reactions: Blazing
People's perception of hollys is skewed by all the landscape bushes we see in yards. Make no mistake, American holly is a tree - when left in it's native envirnoment it can grow to be huge.

It is also a very dense wood and highly valued by wood tuners for that reason. Check out woodbarter.com and you might be able to get some cold hard dollars for some of it.