American splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

potter

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2008
western NY
Any comments on American CLS brand splitters? I'm thinking of going in with acouple of friends.....

We've done 20 cords a years since the Reagan administration with this one...only replaced the recoil. Elm is the toughest wood we have and I don't split that down the middle... everything else no problem. It's horizontal only ...but the 'I' beam is low enough to the ground that I can easily roll the largest rounds up on a ramp of splitter trash. Back in the day I'd wrestle the monster rounds up and use my foot to move the lever. As to how they're made today...I dunno.
3142212552_96ddb05793.jpg

But if I were to buy another it would be an American cause this one held up well. They are pricey but I've saved a lot of dough over 30 years of burning wood so when I look for wood processing implements it all about performance more than price.

What business does a home woodburner have with a $4,000 splitter? The $1,500 ones last forever splitting home firewood.

And as to all of this stuff about lightning fast cycle times. Only means anything if you have two people working it. And when I am working with something that can take fingers and hands off, a little slower is just fine with me.

Good points. There would be three of us doing 6 cords each per year (that's a high estimate). I think the ad maybe for a fancier unit.... That is an insane amount.

The market seems to agree with you...it has been posted for months. At some point it goes for a reasonable price if he really wants to sell it.

Friend went to the dealer today-
16 tons, 5 gal. resevoir, 12 sec cycle, 13 GPM pump, 5.5 hp Briggs Stratton, 2 stage pump. 6" steel frame and 8" wheels.
1650.00. Friends have same, similar situation shared by 2 people and like it. Made here in NY state. towing hitch (we all live nearby). Probably splitting triaxal loads of mixed hardwood, lots of maple here...Good relationship with dealer.
Any final thoughts?
Thanks, as always folks very generous with comments.

16 tons!
If that is a 4" cylinder that's the first honest rating I've seen in a long time. Seems like most brands now call that size machine a 22 ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.