any experience with Russo coal/wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

philaphire

Sep 24, 2006
Blue Bell, PA
I have the opportunity for a free Russo coal/wood stove. I want to burn wood - I hear they're not the best for that. Anyone have/had one? I live in a 1800 sf split level and would have it on the main level. THANKS!

Well, russo stoves lack any sort of secondary combustion system and have a feeble (at best) air wash system.

I've had experience with a few of their models, and while they're great stoves for coal burning, I think they're so-so at burning wood. Nothing more than a steel box with a simple baffle and a grate system. The problem with the great system is that its got pretty big slots, and is probably meant for chestnut or stove sized coal. This means you won't be able to get a good 2-3 inch bed of coals very easily because so many will just fall through into the ash pan. It does depend a little on the model number, have you found it yet? Should be on the plate (near the top) on the back of the stove. If you have a heat shield, it'll be under it.

You'd be much happier burning coal, is there any reason you're set on burning wood?

I can get wood for free and don't mind the work (at least currently!) I am open to coal being in Philly suburbs I'm close enough to get it at a reasonable cost - $195 for ton delivered. How do these work for coal without a hopper, do you just open up and put it in?

yes sir. Philly suburbs eh? Me too!

I can always swing by and show you the ins and outs of lighting a coal fire, if you wish. You could always burn wood in the fall and then let the coal take over in the winter, like many folks do.

thanks - where's Milford? I'm in central Montgomery county. I guess I'm hung up on paying just sweat equity for heat, although not paying for a stove can cancel the cost of coal. thanks - i'll keep you in mind if I decide to go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.