Any feed back on DR POWER Rapid fire 34 ton?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I have one supposedly slightly used for sale in my area for $1800. Always wanted kinetic splitter. I split 5-6 cords a year. I know that Super Split is a gold standard but it over $3000 new. But I'd rather pay $3000 for something good than $1800 for POS.
Do you think it might be a good deal for me?

I went with the Super Split electric which is stated that it can generate 24tons and enough tonnage for me. From what I have read the other brands have had issues with the quality of steel they use for the pinion and rack gear. Have you looked for a used Super Split? Good luck to you.

Reactions: TreePointer
No used super splits. Anywhere. Seem to be an a hot item. . Do you think it worse to spent $1200 extra on brand new super split instead of used Dr. The guy told me that pinion is already has to be changed. He got new one,, but why original broke just after one year ?
I'm seriously leaning to shell some extra $for warranty and peace of mind.

I look at it this way.
If you buy a SS and don't like it you can sell it and get a huge portion of your money back providing you don't beat the hell out of it.

No used super splits. Anywhere. Seem to be an a hot item. . Do you think it worse to spent $1200 extra on brand new super split instead of used Dr. The guy told me that pinion is already has to be changed. He got new one,, but why original broke just after one year ?
I'm seriously leaning to shell some extra $for warranty and peace of mind.

Also the J model should have enough tonage. I drove up to mass and got mine right there , talked with Paul. To late for tax free holiday deals .

Attachments

• 2020-10-13 11_17_30-.png
    2020-10-13 11_17_30-.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 85
Also the J model should have enough tonage. I drove up to mass and got mine right there , talked with Paul. To late for tax free holiday deals .
For me, the tax comes to the same number as the shipping cost. That say should be 4 to 8 weeks. I once ordered .

I’d go supersplit as well..
When I ordered mine a few years ago I had some questions, called Paul and made the decisions..
It was right about the same time he (Paul) told me he had just sold one of each model to DR..
He knew what they were about to try but since his patent had Expired there was nothing he could do to stop em...
He did tell me some of the problems they were gonna have to learn on there own, the rack and pinion was just one of em..
We laughed over the phone at the whole conversation, it was a great talk and I really appreciated his time..
I too looked for years for a used supersplit, to find just a few 20 yr. old machines, WELL USED and they still wanted 2 grand..

edit;; I went with the electric also,,, everywhere I split I can reach with an extension cord..
I can split wood In my closed up garage while watching tv, .... no messing with another engine, gas, oil, ect...
just plug it in and flip the switch..

Reactions: Lakeside
SS owners, how does it do with knotty pine and stringy elm? It has peaked my interest, but alot of the wood i get is more difficult to split.

SS owners, how does it do with knotty pine and stringy elm? It has peaked my interest, but alot of the wood i get is more difficult to split.
I’ve not split either.
I did split up a bunch of hemlock that dropped from a storm 2 years earlier and the butt end needed some double hits but everything under 12 was no problem.
Yellow birch is around and somewhat stringy. Again the larger stuff needs a double hit sometimes but 12 and under is fine.

SS owners, how does it do with knotty pine and stringy elm?

I have not split these two species but have split Crabapple and some very large rounds ( 24" + ). Generally just a couple more hits for the gnarly stuff.

I investigated kinetic splitters for a few years. A few months ago I ordered J model SuperSplit 220 electric. Why the heck did I wait so long? One plus is once I stacked I realized my splits were much smaller, less air space, more wood in the shed. The machine is amazing. Don't cheap out. I find kinetic to be actually safer than a slower hydraulic as I only need to focus for a few seconds. Since I have ADD there isn't enough time for my mind to think about a million other things where focus is lost. However, a few logs have back flipped on me, which could happen when there is a knot in the ass end, but I am aware of the possibility now. Also, the weight of this unit is substantial. But, designed for easy rolling to position.

I have not been impressed with DR equipment of any kind when I've worked on them for people. Strong marketing company arm that I believe hides the fact that their stuff is Chinese. It certainly doesn't seem to be American Built quality to me. I've looked at the leaf vac systems, and my neighbors splitter, and I'm just not impressed by them at all.

Reactions: T-roy_
I have one supposedly slightly used for sale in my area for $1800. Always wanted kinetic splitter. I split 5-6 cords a year. I know that Super Split is a gold standard but it over $3000 new. But I'd rather pay $3000 for something good than $1800 for POS.
Do you think it might be a good deal for me?

You should go look at it. Seeing it in person will tell you a lot. Have him start it, run it, etc. It might be a good machine with only a small repair needed, but we're all speculating on it without seeing it and hearing it run and without the benefit of giving it a strong personal inspection.

You seem pretty geeked on the unit. Go look at it and see if you can bring him down on the price. Might be a solid unit with a little problem. Won't know until you see it.

My gut tells me you should walk away, but I'm not there in person. Good luck with it.

Ok, here is an update. I got it. The unit seemed nice. I got home, greased it, and split a couple of small logs. When I got to the big stuff the rack just stuck against it and the machine produced a rattling sound. The sound comes from pinion riding on the rack.
Apparently, the bushing on the engaging mechanism got worn and not holding the rack all the way down to pinion causing slippage when splitting tough logs.
That's when I start to kick myself.
Why I didn't listen to your, guys, and didn't get super split.
It's simple to repair, but this happened after a year of use. Wondering what's coming.
I called the guy and he was kind enough and agreed to take it back.

Take a ride to Mass. I think you would enjoy talking with Paul. ( the guy who builds these ) nothing like a personal conversation . I bet you can learn a lot of great times from him. The person you bought the DR from as seems like a good guy - Lucky you.

Attachments

• lucky_dog.png
    lucky_dog.png
    121.4 KB · Views: 85
Ok, here is an update. I got it. The unit seemed nice. I got home, greased it, and split a couple of small logs. When I got to the big stuff the rack just stuck against it and the machine produced a rattling sound. The sound comes from pinion riding on the rack.
Apparently, the bushing on the engaging mechanism got worn and not holding the rack all the way down to pinion causing slippage when splitting tough logs.
That's when I start to kick myself.
Why I didn't listen to your, guys, and didn't get super split.
It's simple to repair, but this happened after a year of use. Wondering what's coming.
I called the guy and he was kind enough and agreed to take it back.

Glad it showed it's weaknesses so quickly for you, and cool the guy allowed you to return it. I think it would have been nothing but problems for you on big wood.

Reactions: Dmitry
As mentioned, my neighbor has one that has probably split a total of 2 cords since he bought it new a few years ago that he wanted to show off to me. He fired up his noisy DR splitter and split a couple of small rounds for me and the noise it made and vibration was atrocious. He's tried to loan it to me numerous times, but I always politely decline.

I just know that I'd be the guy using it when it broke in half, and that I'd then be the guy who has to repair it. I looked it over when he was showing it off to me. He has me do his mechanicals and welding on his stuff, but I don't want to take a chance of even touching that splitter after seeing and hearing it in operation.

No thanks.