Any idea what kind of wood this is?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stir224

Nov 25, 2020
Ohio
Neighbor had this taken down a few weeks ago

Any idea what kind of wood this is?

How about a up close shot of split?

How about a up close shot of split?

They are down the road a bit and it started raining so maybe on our next walk! I thought it might be silver maple or white oak. The bark looks very silver maple but i didn't think silver maple has that dark of heartwood? Dunno I'm still really new at this

They are down the road a bit and it started raining so maybe on our next walk! I thought it might be silver maple or white oak. The bark looks very silver maple but i didn't think silver maple has that dark of heartwood? Dunno I'm still really new at this
Agreed. Don't think maple wood be dark

First, immediate impression: white oak (flakey bark, brown heartwood, and stout twigs).

My first impression was black oak. But I'm usually wrong!

Either Oak or Hickory like was said, great stuff. What year is that Bronco?!

Either Oak or Hickory like was said, great stuff. What year is that Bronco?!

I'm guessing mid 80s but you probably already knew that. I haven't seen it move in a longggg time. I'll stop by in the next few days (to try to score some free wood) and I can ask!

Reactions: PA. Woodsman