Any way to heat closed bedrooms at night?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The bigger problem I had was with them constantly touching buttons and messing up the settings.

We have one in the master bedroom upstairs at the other end of the house from the stove. I have that same problem with my wife. And she is 70. ;lol

Reactions: Justin M
You could maybe install a top and bottom vent in the door itself and place a box fan at the bottom vent blowing towards the hall thereby hopefully creating a warm air vacuum through the top vent in the door.

Will still let some light and noise through, but the box fan may make enough white noise to cancel out the sound possibly.

If the room is not too large and is well insulated I would suggest checking out eheat.com. These are electric heaters that use 375 watts and really do work well for smaller rooms. If you leave the door open until bedtime then the electric heater will kick in when needed to keep the real cold out.

Same here. One room at the far end of the house, where the stove heat cannot possibly reach, just installed a mini-split. However, that's not what I'd do in this case. I would just keep their door open, excepting the hour or three in the evening, when the twins are asleep and the rest of the family is still up. Assuming no major heat loss problem in their room, it should hold a decent temperature for that period of time, with the door closed. Re-open when you go to bed.

This. I have the same issue, and the door is closed for 1-2 hours. When we go to bed, we open the door. Is it a few degrees colder in there? Sure. Doesn't seem to bother my kid in the least. Try it out for a little while first. If they're not waking up and complaining about being cold, don't worry about it. Put an extra blanket on them:)

My wife uses an oil filled electric radiator in her bedroom at the low setting but only at times of sub zero weather. Those few nights of use don`t seem to affect the electric bill.
Personally I think it`s the most economical , quickest , reasonably safe , and efficient solution to what can be an uncomfortable situation.

My wife uses an oil filled electric radiator in her bedroom at the low setting but only at times of sub zero weather. Those few nights of use don`t seem to affect the electric bill.
Personally I think it`s the most economical , quickest , reasonably safe , and efficient solution to what can be an uncomfortable situation.
I was going to suggest just cuddling, but the end result of that is often the least economical, quick, or safe. In fact, it can set you back 18 years + college tuition.

I was going to suggest just cuddling, but the end result of that is often the least economical, quick, or safe. In fact, it can set you back 18 years + college tuition.
Those days are gone!

We just keep bedroom doors open. We open the kids door when we go to sleep. Easy...

We just keep bedroom doors open. We open the kids door when we go to sleep. Easy...

Try this unless you are up early and wake them up. Sucks when the door squeaks when you try and close it at 530am!

But with the doors closed, you are screwed. I'm in the same boat as you. Open all day then closed at night. We run a small electric space heater up there. Nice and toasty, mom and dad sleep warm and longer. Can't beat that!

i skimmed the thread. i think the only way vents would work is if you did what you mentioned and put one low and one high.
but then imo you'd have to add an exhaust fan on the lower vent.(or use an in wall fan purpose made for this application) as it sucks air out, the warm air up high would enter the upper vent.
but then you have the noise of the fan to bother the kids.
unless the white noise is something they'd tolerate.
if fan noise would be ok, you could even use two in wall fans and have the low one drawing out and the high one feeding in.

just one example of this type of fan -

http://www.amazon.com/Room-Room-Fan-Circulate-Cold/dp/B0015RZW0K

*research which brand is quietest on low.

I do this. The difference is night and day.

Attachments

• wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 187
I prefer cool air in the bed rooms. We use low Voltage (12 V dc) electric blankets to keep warm while the oil system keeps the bedroom air at about 62 degrees.

So we get our Accentra Insert installed on Weds. Cannot wait. We have a split-level, which means our insert will go in the living room, which abuts the kitchen, and is a short hallway away from the bathroom and our kids' two bedrooms.

Our older son (7) has a dutch door...we cut the top half off so we can keep an eye on him when he plays, and it keeps his twin 2yo siblings out. But the twins have a full door, and we need to shut it at night to keep it pitch black so we don't wake them up with the TV or lights.

My only worry with the new insert is how we'll heat the twins room at night. I'd love to stay off oil as much as we can, but I need a way for the insert heat to get into their room. I feel like this is kind of a silly question, but are there fans we could build into the door? Or maybe above the frame of the door in the wall? Or perhaps a vent up near the ceiling? Or am I SOL for this scenario? Worst case, I guess, is we keep the door open before bedtime, shut it while we're awake but they're sleeping, then open it back up before we go to bed. But curious if there are other solutions.

If they slept better I wouldn't worry...but they are bad sleepers and so any noise or light wakes them up. It's tough.

So we get our Accentra Insert installed on Weds. Cannot wait. We have a split-level, which means our insert will go in the living room, which abuts the kitchen, and is a short hallway away from the bathroom and our kids' two bedrooms.

Our older son (7) has a dutch door...we cut the top half off so we can keep an eye on him when he plays, and it keeps his twin 2yo siblings out. But the twins have a full door, and we need to shut it at night to keep it pitch black so we don't wake them up with the TV or lights.

My only worry with the new insert is how we'll heat the twins room at night. I'd love to stay off oil as much as we can, but I need a way for the insert heat to get into their room. I feel like this is kind of a silly question, but are there fans we could build into the door? Or maybe above the frame of the door in the wall? Or perhaps a vent up near the ceiling? Or am I SOL for this scenario? Worst case, I guess, is we keep the door open before bedtime, shut it while we're awake but they're sleeping, then open it back up before we go to bed. But curious if there are other solutions.

If they slept better I wouldn't worry...but they are bad sleepers and so any noise or light wakes them up. It's tough.

Seems like you could close the door until you go to bed then open it for the rest of the night. It wouldn't get real cold for 2 or 3 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.