Any WV Gassers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MickMorley

Jan 22, 2018
Jackson Co, WV
Hi all, I’m building a house and need to decide on a boiler. Up until I found this site, I was getting an OWB.

Now that I found out about these gasification units, it sounds amazing. I’ve been researching for over a year (here and there) and still learning about them. Everyone around here has OWB and think I’m crazy for wanting to go against the grain.

Does anyone have an gassers around me? I’ve never seen them in person. My first choice is probably a switzer but don’t know if i can swing that or justify the cost.

Since I’m a few hours from New Horizon, I’m debating on just going and getting an EKO 40. I just don’t know in the long run will I end up spending more on the setup versus the one time cost of a switzer (has DHW hook ups and other already included elements of the system).

Hi all, I’m building a house and need to decide on a boiler. Up until I found this site, I was getting an OWB.

Now that I found out about these gasification units, it sounds amazing. I’ve been researching for over a year (here and there) and still learning about them. Everyone around here has OWB and think I’m crazy for wanting to go against the grain.

Does anyone have an gassers around me? I’ve never seen them in person. My first choice is probably a switzer but don’t know if i can swing that or justify the cost.

Since I’m a few hours from New Horizon, I’m debating on just going and getting an EKO 40. I just don’t know in the long run will I end up spending more on the setup versus the one time cost of a switzer (has DHW hook ups and other already included elements of the system).

Factor in the costs but more importantly the system design & install work of adding storage to the EKO. In trying to decide.

There are several brands of outdoor gasification boilers now that have been on the market for a while. They are designed to run without storage and I don't think would be more than a couple grand more than a traditional OWB.

Garn is one of the ones I'd like to have, but that high cost is steering me in a different direction.

Factor in the costs but more importantly the system design & install work of adding storage to the EKO. In trying to decide.

All of the install and design will be DIY. I have 2 propane tanks already that were free. The design I'll have to research more, I don't quite grasp the concepts yet. My underground piping and radiant floor pex is installed. The next step is getting a boiler.

There are several brands of outdoor gasification boilers now that have been on the market for a while. They are designed to run without storage and I don't think would be more than a couple grand more than a traditional OWB.

The only one I've read on here that exists is the Econoburn. Unless you are referring to the Central Boilers and such that had to start putting out EPA stoves.

As for the original question, I was wondering if anyone in WV had a gasificaiton boiler. I've never seen one and I do not know anyone that has one. I actually talked to Zenon and he informed me that barely anyone down here buys them, they are more of a traditional Outdoor Wood Boiler crowd.

The only one I've read on here that exists is the Econoburn. Unless you are referring to the Central Boilers and such that had to start putting out EPA stoves.

Heatmaster GS is a gasser.

Heatmaster GS is a gasser.

I did't realize that. I've always passed by when reading about Heatmaster. Its sounds like a good stove. In my research, I'm leaning more toward a pressurized system. Just cannot find anything used yet.

I did't realize that. I've always passed by when reading about Heatmaster. Its sounds like a good stove. In my research, I'm leaning more toward a pressurized system. Just cannot find anything used yet.
I have a pressurized BioMass 80 gasification boiler near Cincinnati on the east side of not far from WV. Maybe a little more than 4 hours. It has been in service year round since 2012.
I was experiencing the same situation as you with everyone else around me using an OWB. One of my goals was to reduce the smoke developed for my neighbors. I believe I made the right choice selecting the BioMass and installing it in a detached building where I can store wood and be protected from the weather. It has worked great.
The best advice I read about on this forum is to keep the design of your system simple.

I considered the Garn, Heatmaster G series and pretty much every other gasser out there. Most new get me into a price range that will buy a LOT of propane at current rates (1.09 gallon). Even with a lower cost EKO I'm not sure things would pen out financially if that's all that matters to you. Personally I'm committed to heating with wood for several reasons and wanted to do a project like this regardless. Attached is a pic of the system I've cobbled together so far (still in process):
:"
AttackDPXL45wStorage.jpg

Main system components:
Boiler - Attack DPXL 45 lamda controlled boiler $6300 new ( nothing available here in used gassers)
2x500 gallon scrap propane tanks $200 each
4- Grunfos Alpha II ecm circulators $180 each
LK 821 return protection $200
Lots of 1.25 and 1" copper tubing, fittings, valves, dirt trap, strainer, air scoops and vents - estimate $1500
Water worker 110 gallon expansion tank - ~$400
2- 60 plate flat plate exchangers 200 each
spray foam for foam in trench lines and tanks $650
1" true id pex al pex for in trench and some inside runs (2- 50 meter rolls) $140/roll
rent mini-ex for 24 hrs - $200
24x24 and 15x24" water to air HX $400 total
bunch of misc stuff I'm probably forgetting but that should give you the jist of a project like this.
The propane tanks will be enclosed and insulated further.
I would of loved a effecta, Froling, or Varm boiler but to get the same firebox capacity I have in the Attack I would be looking at a $10k boiler.
My goal for the system is to heat my 3400 sq ft house (80' away), the building the boiler is in, and eventually my well equipment room - 130' away (small load). Before this install I was firing up to (4) wood burning appliances to heat the multiple buildings, hopefully this will get me down to two.
Edit - should also mention the flue was already there from a previously installed wood stove.

Last edited:
New Varm Vedo 37s are a hair under 6k. Per Smokeless site.

I really like the Varm's, especially the ease of cleaning. IIRC the varm 37 has a pretty small fire box compared to others of equivalent output on the market. The 55 would be closer to the firebox size I am looking for and quite a jump in price to go with it. A 37 would probably work but require more re-loadings.

I really like the Varm's, especially the ease of cleaning. IIRC the varm 37 has a pretty small fire box compared to others of equivalent output on the market. The 55 would be closer to the firebox size I am looking for and quite a jump in price to go with it. A 37 would probably work but require more re-loadings.

that is the one thing that's keeping me at a distance. 20" log are a little small. but I did look into them a bit after I saw a few posts by @maple1.

@cincyfire thanks for the input, I figured there were others that were in my predicament before.

@3fordasho thank you for the detailed cost breakdown, this helps a lot.

I considered the Garn, Heatmaster G series and pretty much every other gasser out there. Most new get me into a price range that will buy a LOT of propane at current rates (1.09 gallon). Even with a lower cost EKO I'm not sure things would pen out financially if that's all that matters to you. Personally I'm committed to heating with wood for several reasons and wanted to do a project like this regardless. Attached is a pic of the system I've cobbled together so far (still in process):
:"View attachment 249030

Main system components:
Boiler - Attack DPXL 45 lamda controlled boiler $6300 new ( nothing available here in used gassers)
2x500 gallon scrap propane tanks $200 each
4- Grunfos Alpha II ecm circulators $180 each
LK 821 return protection $200
Lots of 1.25 and 1" copper tubing, fittings, valves, dirt trap, strainer, air scoops and vents - estimate $1500
Water worker 110 gallon expansion tank - ~$400
2- 60 plate flat plate exchangers 200 each
spray foam for foam in trench lines and tanks $650
1" true id pex al pex for in trench and some inside runs (2- 50 meter rolls) $140/roll
rent mini-ex for 24 hrs - $200
24x24 and 15x24" water to air HX $400 total
bunch of misc stuff I'm probably forgetting but that should give you the jist of a project like this.
The propane tanks will be enclosed and insulated further.
I would of loved a effecta, Froling, or Varm boiler but to get the same firebox capacity I have in the Attack I would be looking at a $10k boiler.
My goal for the system is to heat my 3400 sq ft house (80' away), the building the boiler is in, and eventually my well equipment room - 130' away (small load). Before this install I was firing up to (4) wood burning appliances to heat the multiple buildings, hopefully this will get me down to two.
Edit - should also mention the flue was already there from a previously installed wood stove.
Install looks like its coming along nicely...you fire it yet?
Looking at the pic of the storage tanks it makes me wonder about the load capacity of the frame the upper tank is on...at 500 gallons that's well over 2 tons sitting on that frame...can't tell from the pic what the frame is made of exactly...or the wall thickness. Me personally (I tend to overbuild things though too) I would have some corner braces inside the uprights and then some cross bracing between the two stands...if that top tank ever got bumped good it appears to me that things could just fold right up...also might want to double check the load rating of the top cross piece that the upper tank sits on...since the tank feet sit more toward the middle, there is significant stress on that piece.
You probably have already done the calculations on all this and have it under control...if so just feel free to tell me to buzz off :p

Install looks like its coming along nicely...you fire it yet?
Looking at the pic of the storage tanks it makes me wonder about the load capacity of the frame the upper tank is on...at 500 gallons that's well over 2 tons sitting on that frame...can't tell from the pic what the frame is made of exactly...or the wall thickness. Me personally (I tend to overbuild things though too) I would have some corner braces inside the uprights and then some cross bracing between the two stands...if that top tank ever got bumped good it appears to me that things could just fold right up...also might want to double check the load rating of the top cross piece that the upper tank sits on...since the tank feet sit more toward the middle, there is significant stress on that piece.
You probably have already done the calculations on all this and have it under control...if so just feel free to tell me to buzz off :p

First firing tonight, just got done fixing the one leak that showed up. (after many rounds of pressure checking with air and soapy water)
Good thing I put enough isolation valves in so only had to drain a few gallons.
The top horizontal supports are pretty thick c-channel. I had a trusted fabrication shop do them and they know the weight supported. I do agree on the cross bracing and that will be added as soon as I install a 220v outlet for the welder.

Reactions: brenndatomu
First firing tonight, just got done fixing the one leak that showed up. (after many rounds of pressure checking with air and soapy water)
Good thing I put enough isolation valves in so only had to drain a few gallons.
The top horizontal supports are pretty thick c-channel. I had a trusted fabrication shop do them and they know the weight supported. I do agree on the cross bracing and that will be added as soon as I install a 220v outlet for the welder.

I didn't realize that you just built your set up. Let us know how it goes.

I am eyeing up a used Econoburn 150, I am going to be jealous of your firebox size... almost a 30" log is great in the attack 45. The Econoburn is 21" max.