anyone else hand split instead of using the splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have seen a lot of references to the Fiskars X27 in this string. Is it really that much better than the old standard 10lb. splitting mauls I have always used?

It has replaced my good old maul. Thanks to its fiskars magic, it does just about exactly the same work but it's a lot lighter.

I don't find that it splits any better than a regular old maul, but the weight difference is really nice.

Reactions: Rangerbait
Don't even own a splitter. I'm a wood snob tho. Have enough already. Only take the easily split stuff and the X27 make short work of it.

I prefer hand splitting for the exercise and the sheer caveman pleasure of splitting my own wood. It's fun! Just spent a half hour splitting kindling. Now only use a Fiskar's X27. However, I am not dependent on a wood fire for a primary source of heat. It's only a supplement. If my only heat were dependent upon wood or if I were selling wood, I would get a splitter.