Anyone else shutting down for the season ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The basement stove was shutting down as I was getting on my bike at 4:45 this morning - it was 33* outside; a nice brisk 50 minute ride to start the work week off.

It's 51 outside here, the oil heat came on about 3am for a while when it was cooler out, that's twice in 24 hours. Supposed to be 60 today and sunny, I doubt the heat will run all day.

Don't get me wrong, if conditions warrant the pellet stove I may use it, I don't close it up tight anyway as I mentioned but I think we are done for the season here. Weather is changing plus I'm out of pellets anyway ( planned it that way, been buying 10 bags at a time for a while now and I figured this last batch would be it). I'm moving on from my winter mode of sitting by the fire and or fly tying to spring clean up and fly fishing. From riding my indoor exercise bike to bike riding outdoors. I'll get the garden tractor going today and maybe the boat too. I need to cut the grass and the tractor is my lawn mower ! Meanwhile the midges are starting to come off the ponds in numbers now, the fish will be on them any day, soon as that water warms up a little bit . Winter is over here, time to shift gears.

Let the Harman run out of pellets last Thursday morning. Brushed the hopper out as it was using the last pellets. Won't be doing a major cleaning till early fall. I tend to keep it rather clean while it's running. I know, I need a hobby. That's why spring is here. I mowed the whole yard( 3+ acres) early last week, before the rain of Biblical proportions. Should be dry enough by mid week to cut again, and it needs it. This Fridays evening temp is forcast to be 38 here. So may fire it back up for the night. Have 18 bags left from 6 ton. Was 83 here yesterday. House temp was up to 78. I get great solar heat in this house, though cold in the dead of winter. Farmers around here are busy bees, watched neighbor plant his fields on Saturday. Looks like we may run right past spring into summer with these temps. Enjoy the weather, we'll be stocking pellets sooner than we like!

I thought I was done 1.5 to 2 weeks ago, let the pellets run out in the hopper, in preparation for cleaning it up for end-of-season. Then, got a cool spell, wife wanted a fire. Now I have the hopper 3/4 full and unless it gets cool again, I'll probably scoop them back out.

Reactions: bogieb
8:35 am, it's 50 out.

25* when I got up at 4 am and main floor stove was going - ran at least during the night (it was running when I got up from my nap and went to bed >>).

Reactions: MikeSs
Not time to shut down yet
Snow forecast for next week
in Eastern Ontario
OH goody more MUD:p

I need to clean the glass on the stove, it's ugly right now, I'm just done burning for this season. "It Is Finished".

Don't normally worry about shutting down till June. Daytime high here was a raw 52 with winds over 20. will get down into low 30s by morning.

5:38am it's 56 out.

Did turn down the P61 to about 65 last night (using the room probe). The slab is still cold, which emanates into the house, but it is supposed to be close to 80 today so I don't want the stove to try to keep it at 70 and having excess heat rising to the main floor. Letting the thermostat take care of the P43.

5:24 and temp fell below freezing. 31 but the wind died down.
Supposed to have a full day of burning prairie land for Habitat Forever.

o
5:24 and temp fell below freezing. 31 but the wind died down.
Supposed to have a full day of burning prairie land for Habitat Forever.

Yeah, we had a tick burn by I don't know what agency. They just neglected to inform everyone that while they were at it they might just as well take out a huge piece out of the 200,000 acres of tree land and fields, then gate it off. Stripped it clean, I mean bare, walking trails, you name it. Funny "coincidence" how that same land abuts the local military base. it's being done in the name of protecting "rare species" by the wildlife management people who will now meet with local towns after the fact. Amazing.

Last edited:
Weather has been ON AND OFF
The past few days were in the 80's F
This morning its back to April weather and the little stove is doing it's thing again.

Looking like the rest of this week and most of next week will be cool and wet.

Not done with the stoves yet.

Doubtful we will use the big one again this season.

Thunder and lightning last night, and pouring rain this morning.

Arrrrrgh.

Had the windows open in the house today, the cats loved it. Won't last though, high 50's tomorrow and I guess rain but then who really knows ?

Listen to this one: the stove company we bought the stove from 3 years ago called. They have a promo. Oakie Douglas Fir regularly $419 a ton, $25 off for the next two months. They get $50 for delivery of the first ton and $25 for each ton after, they will knock that first delivery down to $25. And he was serious ! They used to store pellets for you but now there is a deadline to get them off the property or they will be full price.

$349 a ton for New England Wood Pellets, aren't those Green Supreme that HD was selling for $199 ?

I didn't hear the price on Oakie Platinums but who cares.

Listen to this one: the stove company we bought the stove from 3 years ago called. They have a promo. Oakie Douglas Fir regularly $419 a ton, $25 off for the next two months. They get $50 for delivery of the first ton and $25 for each ton after, they will knock that first delivery down to $25. And he was serious ! They used to store pellets for you but now there is a deadline to get them off the property or they will be full price.

$349 a ton for New England Wood Pellets, aren't those Green Supreme that HD was selling for $199 ?

:eek:

Reactions: alternativeheat
Had the windows open in the house today, the cats loved it. Won't last though, high 50's tomorrow and I guess rain but then who really knows ?

Yep, time to find a different supplier. That's the worst part about owning a stove: Finding a decent place to get a decent pellet, at a halfway decent price.

Yep, time to find a different supplier. That's the worst part about owning a stove: Finding a decent place to get a decent pellet, at a halfway decent price.
Ya, I haven't bought from him since 2014 and his prices started going nuts but you could get a half decent deal on pre order at least. Now with oil down, they are totally out of line. But they still call annually. Course they tout Okie DF as the best pellet on the market anywhere in the country. They are good pellets but not $200 more a pallet better than anything else out there.

This past winter I ran on all off brands except for the LGs at the end of winter. All GS, NA, MW, TSC stuff. And LG. Where ever the deal was I picked up 12-15 bags at a time as we passed by.

Not ready yet.

A few hot days then back to feeding the fire.

Yesterday the stove was on until early afternoon, then off through the night.

Cold this morning, so running the big stove for a while.

We are ending the season with a large quantity of shells barreled up, far more than I had thought we would.

Last count there was 23 barrels in the out building still.

Plus a fair amount left in the basement as well.

Unless we get a "Juneuary" we are going to have a lot left to start next fall.

The 3 yard dumpster full (approx 2700 pounds worth) fills a skosh over nine 55 gallon barrels.

Better to have plenty than not

Last edited:
I am basically completely shut down right now. Oil burner is off and i have a full tank for next winter paid for at 1.65 per gallon. My hot water heater is switched to electric so no issues there as it is very efficient. My pellet stove has a half bag of pellets in it that I will burn through in the next week or so then deep clean. If we get a late cold snap I will settle for a sweatshirt because it won't last anyway. insanely warm year.

Stove is running right now and cycled at least once during the overnight. I'm going to have to fill the hopper as mornings will be cold this coming week. Reminds me, I gotta check the downstairs stove hopper too :)

Reactions: alternativeheat
Fired the Harman up @ 9 last night. Was 33 @ 6:30 this morning.To hit 70 today. So hopefully it was a one night stand! Usually run it when the temps drop below 40. Helps the heat pump out. Down to 17 bags left.

The heat came on this morning after I took my shower at 4:45, it was 40 outside and 46 right now. We will cycle a little oil heat today. First time the heat was on since Thurs night. And as I type it just came on right now.

As I was driving home last night I noticed the house down by the ball field had a little smoke coming from a new vent out the chimney. They obviously installed a pellet stove ( not a large enough vent to be wood and not enough smoke if wood was firing up) and it was firing up. So ya, we need a little heat right now and it was almost 80 Fri. I bet those people were enjoying the pellet heat last night, assuming all went well !

Status
Not open for further replies.