Anyone else shutting down for the season ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Used 4-5 splits this morning, will burn mornings/ nights this week, lows in high 30's.

I hardly used any wood this winter. Moved dry into the shed, sheds full. Now I have only 1 drying rack available.

My oil burner just shut off. Fired it up just to warm up the house. I've got a few hours worth of pellets left in the hopper. Will burn them tomorrow morning to empty the hopper for the year. Flying to Florida mid week, highs in the 90's! I'm set for pellets for next year (ordered anyway), just need to fill the oil tank which should last into the winter oil fired hot water).
It was a mild winter snow and temp wise. Now it's time to take care of the lawn, something I don't look forward to!

Fired the garden tractor up last week for the first time of the season, it's my lawn mower. Cut the front mostly but now the whole thing needs it. I need to get the blades swapped out though and I lost access to the air compressor at work since retiring so thinking about an electric impact wrench. Anyway, with that I don't mind yard work of that nature too much. And leaves I just run over with mulching blades, there isn't anything left of them. It's gardening I don't care about, it's great that my wife has that interest !

But ya, we have these persistent north winds going on, right off the cold bay out here. Today last I looked was 17mph from the NNE. Doesn't look like it will hit the predicted 50 deg today, it's still 46.

Reactions: jackhammer
Cranked up the Harman infloor system and it will probably run all week as temps are to run below normal with highs hardly getting into 50's and 30's at night. Mowed some lawn and planted some grass in bare spots the horse dug up.

Restocked my in house pellets from the shed. Mums are trying to sprout in my garden! Cold isn't helping forward progress though...

Burning the last bag now...it may last a few more nights. Usually just need to run the stove in the mornings for an hour or so, same at night. Still getting in the 40's at night most nights. But I'll be done this week either way...:cool:

Today started out at 52 at about 5 Am and went downhill from there. It's 41 right now and misting out, been raining and misting all day here.

This spring all the magnolia trees in town started to blossom back in the early part of the month and that got nipped with a couple of nights at 21 deg. A few days ago they are just starting the second round that hadn't opened yet, looking mighty sparse this year, disappointing ! But the crocus were early too and did fine, they usually do fine. Daffodils have come and gone, tulips coming out now . Second cutting of grass in as many weeks but the tractor has developed a cold skip or damp weather skip, must have a weak coil or bad wire going on.

When I left for work yesterday morning it was 40 and when I got home between jobs it was 30, with a dusting of snow. This morning it was 22* with freezing fog (I'm near a river). Had a nice thick coat of ice on the truck when I went out to start it up _g.

When I left for work yesterday morning it was 40 and when I got home between jobs it was 30, with a dusting of snow. This morning it was 22* with freezing fog (I'm near a river). Had a nice thick coat of ice on the truck when I went out to start it up _g.
I just want to know one thing, are there any fish in the river ( you can tell I'm a fly fisherman) ? The rest sounds too dismal to absorb right now !

Reactions: bogieb
This will be our latest shutdown in the six seasons we've had our stoves. Temps in the 50's for next several days. Could just use heat pump for most of house, and do. But for basement area and family room the stoves kicking in are great. Ah. Well - clean 'em in June or so.

Went for several days without running either stove as highs were in the 70's, but then the nights got cold again and it was in the low 30's for highs yesterday. My wife tends to like the house on the warm side. Usually don't shut it down until after Memorial Day.

I just want to know one thing, are there any fish in the river ( you can tell I'm a fly fisherman) ? The rest sounds too dismal to absorb right now !
I assume so, people stand on the bridges on a regular basis with poles/line. And they ain't drinking beer on the bridge (town codes against drinking on public property), so that isn't it ;)

It sounds like most have some sort of official shutdown ceremony or protocol. Me, I just turn it on when it's cold in the house. Sooner or later, I realize I haven't turned it on for a few weeks or so and then I figure the season is over. If I get around to it after that, I give it a final cleaning. Last year I didn't get around to it, and it seemed none the worse for wear. I know, I know.

For other seasonal issues, I have a definite rite of passage. I keep a snow brush/scraper on the front passenger floor of the car all winter. Every year, on the day of the Red Sox home opener, I carry the snow scraper from the front of the car to the trunk, put it in the trunk, and I close the trunk with an emphatic slam, leaving the snow brush there until next season. Maybe next year I should add a little music to the event and have the kids out to cheer it on.

I assume so, people stand on the bridges on a regular basis with poles/line. And they ain't drinking beer on the bridge (town codes against drinking on public property), so that isn't it ;)
Well it seems like the clue would be the poles and line ! Course then I don't drink alcohol so guess I might not have thought of the beer, LOL .

Fired back up two days ago.....who would've thunnk.

I might be firing back up at night but have been shut down for a couple of weeks now. We have some cooler weather coming in and it has been quite rainy here lately which also tends to cool things down. If I was still heating with wood 100% I'd surely be done but with the ease and set the temp to comfy on the pellet stove it is easy to bump up some quick heat as needed even when it really isn't needed.

Another perk to owning a pellet stove I guess. Although I may still not fire anything unless the Boss Lady complains....

Reactions: vinny11950
Don't you know that you get bonus points if you fire it up BEFORE the boss lady complains?

Reactions: bags
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I hear you...... Bogie. I can always shut her down by pointing at the house stat and say it is above 60* but that has become irrelevant these days with the ease of pellets vs. wood. Seems like 60* has now climbed to 68* - 70* nowadays. Go figure.

And the fact that she knows how to run it so I can also say I thought you'd fire it up if you were chilled. Old dogs don't do new tricks but they sure can play dead and dumb. LOL!

Like others, still burning at night. Getting down to the low 40s at night, cloudy and rainy during the days, not much sun to warm up the house.

Been off for the past few days, but we had a storm move in and a cool rain last night.

One stove on this morning.

Half a hopper left and I'm done whether it is cold or no......

Looking at the forecast, it looks like three more weekday evening fires and maybe this time shut down for real.

Just looked at the long range forecast and it looks like lots of cool, rainy days with no sun. Might be another 2 weeks before the stove is not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.