Anyone else shutting down for the season ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cleaned both stoves Friday, plugged exhaust, and put the masking tape on tstats, saying that exhaust and oak is plugged to remind me in fall. What little heat we need, I turn the furnace on as natural gas is still cheaper then corn or pellets. Garden is in, and fence is up. Ready for some camping and fishing. Need to do a little shroom hunting too. kap

I cleaned both stoves Friday, plugged exhaust, and put the masking tape on tstats, saying that exhaust and oak is plugged to remind me in fall. What little heat we need, I turn the furnace on as natural gas is still cheaper then corn or pellets. Garden is in, and fence is up. Ready for some camping and fishing. Need to do a little shroom hunting too. kap
Funny, I cleaned both stoves Sunday, and started them back up >>. True, the main floor stove didn't fire during the day yesterday (solar gain), but both were going this morning when I got up.

Reactions: alternativeheat
Friday they are calling for 45F/7C, Saturday 51F/11C and originally calling for snow. Makes no sense as last Thursday, Friday we had highs in the 80s/20s and I figured we were just skipping Spring altogether.:confused:

Looking forward to changing the cloths for summer cloths, shorts and t shirts and stuff. Bedding for something lighter too.

Reactions: bags and bogieb
I would at least plug the exhaust to keep the rust causing moisture out
to each his/her own I guess...
I do a full clean and then plug up the exhaust along with a box of damprid inside the stove..
past 2 yrs when I take the damprid box out in the fall, it has at least 1/4 inch of water in the bottom of the box.
without the damprid charcoal crystals absorbing the moisture, it's going to lay somewhere in the stove.

Reactions: kappel15
Moisture is not a problem here in the summer. The stoves are twenty years old and have no rust.

Still burning .. house was 60F inside this afternoon. Had run the stove for a bit this morning but it is a windy, slightly rainy, drab day...

The Pacific NW has the driest summers in the U.S., that's Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Northern California.

Winters are a different story. But that is when the stove is running.

Reactions: bogieb
The Pacific NW has the driest summers in the U.S., that's Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Northern California.

Winters are a different story. But that is when the stove is running.
I guess the rest of WA makes up for Seattle - I know it was always drizzly/rainy when I lived there. Okay, I admit I only lived there for 1.5 years when I was a kid, but it was a totally differt from KS (where my family moved to).

Woke to 38 and snow falling just south of me. Freeze alerts for tonight. Looks like going to be a lot of corn needing to be replanted:(

map_specnewsdct-31_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpg

I guess the rest of WA makes up for Seattle - I know it was always drizzly/rainy when I lived there. Okay, I admit I only lived there for 1.5 years when I was a kid, but it was a totally differt from KS (where my family moved to).

Seattle is smack in the middle of the Puget Sound convergence zone, weather comes from the Pacific Ocean, through a gap in the coastal mountains, south of Seattle and through the Straits of Juan De Fuca, north of Seattle. The Cascade mountains divert the two streams of weather north and south and they converge over Seattle, causing it to dump on the city.

Seattle is smack in the middle of the Puget Sound convergence zone, weather comes from the Pacific Ocean, through a gap in the coastal mountains, south of Seattle and through the Straits of Juan De Fuca, north of Seattle. The Cascade mountains divert the two streams of weather north and south and they converge over Seattle, causing it to dump on the city.
okay... We here in the EAST Always see in the movies or TV that at least in Seattle, it looks like every other day is a ' London' Bad hair day from the constant raining or drizzles.

Last edited:
Heat hasn't come on in two days here, not even overnight. I keep thinking, could this be it ?

Just relit mine tonight, it is 41 and raining, say snow flurries tonight and tomorrow morning possibly. It sure is nice to have and does a nice job of taking the damp feeling off.

Just relit mine tonight, it is 41 and raining, say snow flurries tonight and tomorrow morning possibly. It sure is nice to have and does a nice job of taking the damp feeling off.
Snow doesn't surprise me ... my son drove from Thunder Bay (end of Lake Superior) to our lake west of there. White out conditions in some spots even though it wasn't really staying on the ground well. Pellet stove on:confused:

I cleaned my stove for the season (thanks again alt heat!), filled the oil tank at $1.82/gal, fired up the inground sprinklers, and cut the grass three times. Three tons oakie platinum stacked in the basement. I'm done!

Never cleaned from last yr, burned maybe 10-15 bags of leftovers from past yr's, the overprice gouge left a sour taste in my mouth, even now there cheaper, realized after 20+ yr burning pellets make my house colder, can be 10+ degrees colder in a small cape 15 feet away, no oak is the reason and my ole whit wasn't made for oak either in a fireplace.

going down to mid 30's tonite here outside Phila...
deff will burn some Energex Goldens tonite.....

Attachments

• Bag_PremiumHardwood.png
    Bag_PremiumHardwood.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 100
Status
Not open for further replies.