Anyone else still burning wood this season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WiscWoody

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2011
Winter WI
I’m still burning here and there and I see tonight and tomorrow nights low is supposed to be near freezing so I’m sure I’ll have the stove going in the mornings to warm up the house. I haven’t mowed any lawns in my lawncare business yet but hopefully it won’t be much longer until I am. Our lake iced out the day before fishing opener, a full month past when it iced out last year.

Reactions: mountain man 2
Haven't burned for a few weeks now. I'll be mowing our lawn for the 5th time soon.

Haven't burned for a few weeks now. I'll be mowing our lawn for the 5th time soon.
I'll probably burn once this weekend, after giving the stove a break for the last couple of weeks. When the projected high is only 42 and it's cloudy, we'll be looking for the house to be a little more cozy.

Yes, I'd definitely be burning with those temps.

36 here tonight and 49 for the high tomorrow, I’m sure wifey will load the stove at some point tomorrow.

Cut mine for the first time yesterday. I wanted to wait but my neighbor cut his over the weekend so I felt obligated. ;lol

A6675C2E-A6F5-438F-86F8-FA84B775C84E.jpeg Turns out I’m not waiting until morning for a fire. It’s 42 out and 63 in the house so Some heat now will feel good.

Stove room happens to be the coldest room in the house since its in the basement. Its can be 60 in there when its 80 outside with no fire. No fire now but if it gets any cold this weekend outside may have one final burn. Looks good after that.

80's and 90's here, already mowed my yard a few times, getting ready to open up the pool this weekend.

Its been 12 days since my last fire, I think we are done here for the season. My last fire was the 30th, it was a cold dreary day, the next day the temps shot up into the 70's and then a heat wave in the 90's after that. Pretty crazy transition, the grass grew 4" in 3 days, the tree's didn't even bud, they went right to leaves. Totally amazing how mother nature makes up lost time, I'm now prepping the vegetable garden (first one on this property) I keep on turning the dirt over and planning on putting up a fence to keep the critters away.

Last fire was about a month ago...cleaned chimney n insert......gonna split about a half cord today to clean some oak rounds I have stacked along driveway...
In the process now of cleaning stone on fireplace.....
0511180518.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course we still burn. It's the shoulder season with temps in the 30's early mornings.
If allowed :p without all the flak from the VC anti's, the just installed VC Encore Flexburn is right for those burn-in low fires.
Perfect time for using up the softwood from all the winter storms.
Only the palm tree people stop burning in May. ;)

36 here tonight and 49 for the high tomorrow, I’m sure wifey will load the stove at some point tomorrow.
You have to northern Michigan or the U.P. It’s been a couple weeks since my last fire. Even mowed the grass a couple of times already

Overnight temp was 30 in Northern Minnesota yesterday, it warmed up to 47 during the day. The house was 59 inside when I got home from work. I loaded the princess 3/4 full for a nice slow burn.

Yep, cold rainy day here. Love it!

Could have used a fire this morning, house was 63*. I already put my anti-bird contraption (plastic bird fencing) on the stack. Finally got tired of saving birds from inside the stove. Now I just gotta remember to take it down next season....
4ECEE394-51A5-451E-8F90-670F470DEE13.jpeg

Last fire was about a month ago...cleaned chimney n insert......gonna split about a half cord today to clean some oak rounds I have stacked along driveway...
In the process now of cleaning stone on fireplace.....
View attachment 226592
Ha! At first glance I thought you had set out a table with fruit and bananas there.

You have to northern Michigan or the U.P. It’s been a couple weeks since my last fire. Even mowed the grass a couple of times already

No, Oxford area(not far from you). Only 41* right now, didn’t have a fire last night but will likely have one tonight.

No, Oxford area(not far from you). Only 41* right now, didn’t have a fire last night but will likely have one tonight.
Yeah scratch that. 40 and rainy. Mowed two yards this morning, one of them in the rain. Froze my a$$ off. Came home and fired up the encore. So I guess I’m still burning too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rdust
No fire for the past two weeks.

Will light one this eve.

Of course we still burn. It's the shoulder season with temps in the 30's early mornings.
If allowed :p without all the flak from the VC anti's, the just installed VC Encore Flexburn is right for those burn-in low fires.
Perfect time for using up the softwood from all the winter storms.
Only the palm tree people stop burning in May. ;)
I want to see that beauty in action.....! Pics....

Reactions: Cast Iron
It has been about a week for us. It hit 90º yesterday in denver.... it might snow this weekend though, since i'm planning on planting the garden.