Anyone else still burning wood this season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It has been about a week for us. It hit 90º yesterday in denver.... it might snow this weekend though, since i'm planning on planting the garden.
Nice!

NEWS: For you banana belt folks--CT., PA, Northwest, etc... VT. forecast is for temps in the teens F tomorrow morning.
Shoulder time.

Reactions: mountain man 2
Cleaned out the furnace today , have not burned wood for the last two weeks after having a fire for the 5 previous months, making this the longest wood burning season for me since I started burning wood 36 year ago.::-)

Last edited:
NEWS: For you banana belt folks--CT., PA, Northwest, etc... VT. forecast is for temps in the teens F tomorrow morning.
Shoulder time.
I have to admit I get a chuckle out of you every time you say things like this. Compared to the Great White North your so called winters are like Mexico to me. Come try a real winter up here. I wear shorts and a t-shirt in weather you think is cold...;lol

I'm likely done with the wood burning season.... There may be another night or two before I completely shut down. We'll see....

I’m still burning here and there and I see tonight and tomorrow nights low is supposed to be near freezing so I’m sure I’ll have the stove going in the mornings to warm up the house. I haven’t mowed any lawns in my lawncare business yet but hopefully it won’t be much longer until I am. Our lake iced out the day before fishing opener, a full month past when it iced out last year.
Burning tonight. Low of 40. Probably tomarrow night too.

Burning right now. Part of having good insulation is that the warm outdoor temperatures don’t warm up the house .

Reactions: coutufr
I have to admit I get a chuckle out of you every time you say things like this. Compared to the Great White North your so called winters are like Mexico to me. Come try a real winter up here. I wear shorts and a t-shirt in weather you think is cold...;lol

Not sure where in SW Ont you are nor where in VT Cast is, but potentially he might be further north than you.....

Haven’t had a fire in about a month now. Started splitting rounds from a fallen oak this past year. Time to clean the chimney and stove and finish my jotul 602 install.

Burned Thursday. Before that it was a 6 day gap. Thought I was done a couple times but it has been bouncing down to the freezing mark at night every few days and hasn't broke the 20c daytime barrier at all yet. Almost didn't on Thursday but decided to head off the 'the house is chilly' talk that was sure to come.

Might do the first lawn mowing in a week or so.

73B6912E-02A3-4E81-BB3D-C5DCBA3744BF.jpeg I have another fire going right now and I’ve had quite a few the last few cool days and nights now. Here in Winter Wisconsin we are much further north than Toronto Canada and even a little further north than Montreal but Happy Stacker is likely North of us. We can get as cold as -40 F static at times. Plenty cold! I should be mowing at least some of the 24 large rural lawns that I mow this coming week which will leave only about 5 months for our mowing season this year, a short one. This summer I will need to make some big payments on this new PZ72 to satisfy the 0% loan I have on it...

Reactions: T-roy_
Burning right now. Part of having good insulation is that the warm outdoor temperatures don’t warm up the house .
Or there's low solar gain. This morning at 7am it's 60F here and it's supposed to go up to around 80F. Sun is streaming into the kitchen and dining area. No heat needed at all.

View attachment 226614 I have another fire going right now and I’ve had quite a few the last few cool days and nights now. Here in Winter Wisconsin we are much further north than Toronto Canada and even a little further north than Montreal but Happy Stacker is likely North of us. We can get as cold as -40 F static at times. Plenty cold! I should be mowing at least some of the 24 large rural lawns that I mow this coming week which will leave only about 5 months for our mowing season this year, a short one. This summer I will need to make some big payments on this new PZ72 to satisfy the 0% loan I have on it...
How do you like the husky? I’m about $500.00 away from paying off my Ferris. As soon as I pay off the mower it’s time to go back in debt with a mini excavator payment.

I lit the fireplace the other night, small fire for a few hours. It was 62 degrees, too warm for the wood stove.
I am loading a huge load of oak that I got delivered a few weeks ago, an 8 foot by 8 foot by 2 foot dump truck load of premium oak, split nice, putting it in the woodpile under the carport.

Wife lit a fire this afternoon. It’s a bit chilly and rainy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you like the husky? I’m about $500.00 away from paying off my Ferris. As soon as I pay off the mower it’s time to go back in debt with a mini excavator payment.
I really like it, it has the Kohler EFI engine on it. I got it for $9500 shipped, no tax of course from a place in Maryland. It retailed for $12,000 which is what the local dealer up near wanted for it and then I would have had to pay the 5.5% state sales tax on it too. I also run the 54" version of this mower for the smaller yards but it has a Kawi engine on it.

Were not done yet. 10 day forecast here shows all evening temps high 30s to mid 40s

Damp cold weekend here, Yesterday was rain with a high temp of 50, this morning its just drizzle and 47, i'm thinking about lighting the BK up, inside temp is 62.

Had the BK going yesterday, the F500 is sold so no, its all cleaned up

Today is the 3rd morning in a row that I have lit up a modest fire. I am not liking it. 5 full cord turned to ashes this year. It was a cold one.

Reactions: Cast Iron
Woke up yesterday to outdoor temp in the mid 40's. Stupid LP furnace was cycling. All I could think was. Must turn off LP, must turn off LP.....
Re fired the BK. Still chugging along now. Soooo much more comfy than LP forced air heat.

Done till fall! This past January was brutal for us...burned long into the spring...far longer than I was expecting..but I had plenty in reserve...