Anyone else still burning wood this season?

WiscWoody Posted By WiscWoody, May 10, 2018 at 9:34 PM

1. BrotherBart

BrotherBart
    Modestorator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah. We went up to 88 and massively humid all of a sudden today.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dobish

Dobish
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2015
    Loc:
    Golden CO
    Rainy today, i filled the stove with maple.
    a772c29578286ffc568e1e03a7b8234c.jpg

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dix

Dix
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

May 27, 2008
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Yep, it got very warm & humid yesterday afternoon.

4. Cast Iron

Cast Iron
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Mar 16, 2018
    Loc:
    Vermont
    Must say, excellent choice of a stove :cool:. In shoulder time do you use the cat ?
    Still too warm here for a real hard burn on this new Flexburn. Or, is it "2in1 " ? Or VC Encore ?
    I'm confused .....as usual.;em
    Any entomologists out there ? What is the BTU of black flies for burns ?

5. Dobish

Dobish
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2015
    Loc:
    Golden CO
    i use the cat any time i am able to engage the cat, but that being said, by the time the stove heats up, it is generally warm enough in the house that I don't want to reload. I reloaded in the afternoon around 2pm and engaged the cat, and by 11pm it was still 74º in the stove room, which was way too hot for my liking ;)

Cast Iron likes this.
  6. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The heat pump came on last night for the first time in almost a week. Sun has been our heat during the day, then we close up the house at night. Rinse and repeat. Even on recent days with morning marine air clouds the house holds the heat well enough to keep it around 71F inside by morning. The low angle of the morning sun enters the dining room under the eaves. By noon, the deep eaves block it. This is a near perfect setup for mild weather warmth.

7. Wolf1022008

Wolf1022008
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Antigo wi
    I can't believe I was able to run this thing in the end of May. It was raining yesterday and last night's low was 33 degrees

Attached Files:

8. ratsrepus

ratsrepus
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 5, 2018
    Loc:
    Howell, Mi
    if I had the new Ashford settled in, Id have a fire going. Ran the princess on the hole with 4 splits of ash, loaded yesterday at 4 PM, still a heatin 24 hrs later

9. Cast Iron

Cast Iron
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Mar 16, 2018
    Loc:
    Vermont
    Explain what this "on the hole" is ?
    We could get 24 h low low burn on the olde Oslo in this shoulder season also. Nothin' exceptional even for an abused non cat with the right wood.
    Just saying.

Sailrmike likes this.
  10. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    EPA hole in the air damper for minimum air supply

11. Wolf1022008

Wolf1022008
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Antigo wi
    Nice my heco has finally cooled all the way down

12. Cast Iron

Cast Iron
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Mar 16, 2018
    Loc:
    Vermont
    So, is there a minimum air inlet EPA mandated for all cat and non cat stoves ?
    Who knew ?

13. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    One of the main differences between pre-EPA and EPA stoves. EPA stoves provide a minimum amount of air to prevent the fire from smoldering. The other big difference is a secondary combustion system.

14. AlbergSteve

AlbergSteve
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2017
    Loc:
    Vancouver Island
    I'm from NS originally, and man, I do NOT miss black fly season! As kids, after coming in from playing outdoors, we were so covered in blood it looked like we were in a knife fight.

15. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Same in CT. We went back for a wedding one June and folks were inhaling the darn things they were so thick.

16. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Yup. They're terrible. No way to control them either, skeeter stuff doesn't work on them. In your ears, up your nose, in your eyes, blaahhh...

17. Cast Iron

Cast Iron
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Mar 16, 2018
    Loc:
    Vermont
    Protein.

18. RFarm

RFarm
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 24, 2013
    Loc:
    North Georgia Mountains
    My last fire in N. GA was on 4/21 and it was lovely. Looking forward to the next fire in maybe 4-5 months....

19. Alpine1

Alpine1
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Apr 27, 2017
    Loc:
    Eastern Alps, Italy
    We had no less than 3 “last fire” in the past month... my hope is today’s one will positively be THE last of the season.

20. WiscWoody

WiscWoody
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 24, 2011
    Loc:
    NW Wisconsin where us fools live
    Wow, your all the way from Italy! I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone else on here from there. We we...

21. Alpine1

Alpine1
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Apr 27, 2017
    Loc:
    Eastern Alps, Italy
    There’s another member from Italy, but not very active in the past months. Maybe the language is a problem, and most of my country is kissed by the Mediterranean sun. Not in my case tough... worst spring I’ve seen in a decade, 11 C at midday!

22. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Just got another one going. It was 0c yesterday morning with ice fog, but I held off since the sun was due out. Which eventually happened. But today is rain all day and only 6c out. So I'm taking the chill off, yet again. Feel sorry for the Newfs, some had 30cm of snow yesterday. Have relatives right in the middle of it. Yucck.

AlbergSteve likes this.
  23. Diabel

Diabel
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Ottawa, ON
    At 6*C I would be firing it up as well.

Atlantic Canada is not having a good spring/summer so far......it is coming....

24. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Heat's been off since Monday. We are in a cool snap, only 60F at 2pm, but the house is 72F. The place holds the heat well overnight with temps in the 50-70 range so temp control is by opening or closing windows. Looks like that will be our weather for the next week or so. It also looks like we're heading to tie for the driest May on record. o_O

25. blacktail

blacktail
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 18, 2011
    Loc:
    Western WA
    I had a fire last night and again tonight with it 49° outside. I like burning this time of year because it's I'm not trying to get the most outta my insert. No reloading, no packing every inch of the box. Just one easy load of alder when I get home and the house is nice and warm.