Anyone else still burning wood this season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
E7FC0735-7885-4908-AC43-A423E395FC7C.jpeg

We had a small fire yesterday. It was in the mid 50s but overcast/rainy and we were having people over for dinner. My brother and his wife were up from California and the house at 65 felt a bit chilly for them.
This morning it was in the mid 40s now it is mid 50s but feels cold so I just made one.
It is nice I got tired of using up my hardwood so I have been burning pine I cut down two years ago. Putting big splits in and shutting the air down, the stove gets up to 400 in less than 20 minutes.
Going to be 80 tomorrow so maybe this will be the last one haha

Reactions: diverscale
Heat's been off since Monday. We are in a cool snap, only 60F at 2pm, but the house is 72F. The place holds the heat well overnight with temps in the 50-70 range so temp control is by opening or closing windows. Looks like that will be our weather for the next week or so. It also looks like we're heading to tie for the driest May on record. o_O
Vancouver, BC set a record in 2015 for having the driest May on record - 4.2mm for the month where the average is 65mm. In two hours, looks like we'll break that record with 1.6mm. Not the kind of records we want to be breaking...

We didn't get the rain at SeaTac, so we remain tied for lowest May rainfall. We also just set the record for the warmest average May temperature. Now June 1 and it was 47º this morning. House is at 68º and the sun is shining again so it will warm up quickly.

Had fire yesterday since it was around freezing morning and only warmed up to the low 50's, with clouds. I'm hoping it was the last one of the season since we are expecting 80 degrees tomorrow.

I’m still burning up in the foothills of western Washington. Low 40s this morning and my home insulation is apparently just a bit too good for the home to heat up from the sun so we’re still burning. Small, hot fires to bump house temps up just 10-15 degrees. It’s often warmer outside than inside so we try to take advantage of that as much as possible with open windows.

It was chilly this morning. I probably would have started a small fire this morning, but my back is on the fritz. No lifting or bending for me so I just let the sun warm us up. I't 73F inside now and 63F outside.

It was chilly this morning. I probably would have started a small fire this morning, but my back is on the fritz. No lifting or bending for me so I just let the sun warm us up. I't 73F inside now and 63F outside.
Backs go out with age, sports, hard work, lack of activity, back abuse.
Our orthopedic sport friends (running club ) strongly recommend even with moderate to severe back pain to not stop activity, but walk. This only if there is no organic problem such as CNS interference. Don't stop moving. Walk.
Bill is in the mail. Get well BG.

Thanks for the good thoughts. The way the doc explained it is that I am a 3/4 ton truck whose springs and shocks have a couple hundred thousand miles on them making me more like a 1/2 ton truck now. I did a whole lot of heavy work in April and May, kind of like putting a 1 ton load on the truck. Now dealing with some torn ligaments around lower spine disks. Doc has already giving me marching orders. No sitting or standing still for more than 20 minutes, no lifting, keep back straight. He gave me some back exercises both standing and on floor cobra pose and lots of walking. I'm trying for at least 3 miles a day. It will heal, just going to take time.

Last edited:
Reactions: bholler
I burned in the patio the other night, mid 50's, passing cold front. Can always open a slider if it gets too hot.

Sent from my V11 using Tapatalk

Just lit up again. Cheezum Whizz.

It was like 30c on Friday, too warm. Then yesterday only up to 6c and windy & wet, flurries in spots. -4c overnight, pretty major frost. Tomorrow is supposed to be a repeat of yesterday. Pretty sure last nights frost was a crop damager.

I just lit a 4 split fire this morning too. It was 50 outside and grey, house at 66F. Fire started great, no smoke spillage at all, though I did smell a bit of dust burning. May was the warmest and sunniest on record so this is the first light up in over a month. 90 minutes later the house is at 71F, 52F outside.

Last edited:
And after several weeks of no fire and relying on the oil boiler for the very few times I needed heat . . . I'm back in.

50 degrees, rainy and just plain raw out there . . . seemed like a good night for a fire.

Ive been braking in the new stove, plus its going down to the 40's in Michigan tonight and tommorrow

Fire on this eve!!
Indoors 19c
Outside 15c
Damp and windy 10 forecasted for tonight.
Scraps of hemlock heated the family rm to 22 within 2hrs! Toasty now......

It was 36 with humidex three days ago....

Reactions: diverscale
burned this morning. Was 47F outside and it was getting pretty cold in the house. Did a 3/4 load of a PE summit. Did a load yesterday too, which was the first one of many days.

Reactions: LocustPocust
I got the stove going for a few hours this evening, the first time in a month or so. It's been chilly and damp here for the past few days. I had a bunch of old pine shelving I was going to use for kindling next season but I ended up burning it tonight. Got the house up to 70-72 pretty quick and then I let it go out. This is probably the latest I've ever ran the wood stove.

Never had a fire in June that I can think of. Crazy

I just lit yet again. +2c and rainy first thing. Sun is supposed to get out later but frost advisories are back for tonight. Sunday nights frost was a killer, big damage everywhere. Historic proportions like.

I just lit yet again. +2c and rainy first thing. Sun is supposed to get out later but frost advisories are back for tonight. Sunday nights frost was a killer, big damage everywhere. Historic proportions like.
That's a bummer.

No "thermostat" or Nest. Never stop burning.
65 F does not exist with no furnace.

Not that warm in the north east. lots of low 50s overnight.Chilly for June.
Yeah same here but not anywhere near chilly enough for me to bother starting a fire. I have a furnace also but its off to. It is rarley on unless we are going away in the winter. Or occasionally if i feel lazy in the shoulder season

Last edited:
June 6 .... fired off :mad: