Anyone else still burning wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Wow, it was a balmy 32 here!

It got sunny and went up to 60. The stove was burning and I was tempted to open the windows upstairs!

It got sunny and went up to 60. The stove was burning and I was tempted to open the windows upstairs!
Mine burned out around 1130 and the house downstairs peaked at 74 with the outside temp hitting 54. I don't have a thermo upstairs, but it feels much warmer. I opened some windows around 1300.

50º and sunny this morning, now 65º. No fires in this weather.

Outside temps have fallen into the 30's with a low of 30 tonight. I let the house cool to about 68 and then I lit the stove again. We're back up to 72 and I'll probably load a couple more splits before bed. We will probably end up around 3.5 cords burned this season by the time lows are consistently above 60.

Every time I think we might be nearing the end of burning season, it just keeps going.

Reactions: Alpine1
45 and breezy today, the furnace was running when I got home from work so I turned the thermostat down and lit a fire.

I'm about to light another load,

2pm start, all done for the day, 8pm Ply temp55*, got home at 47*. Forecast 60* plus with rain next 3 days, no burn. Happy Easter and Passover to those that celebrate.

High of 51 here, house is now 67. I'm soon to light up the stove

. . .
Every time I think we might be nearing the end of burning season, it just keeps going.

The burning season here is never truly over since there is always a chance you may need to light a fire . . . I usually figure I'm safe about time the fireworks get lit off on the 4th of July. :)

The burning season here is never truly over since there is always a chance you may need to light a fire . . . I usually figure I'm safe about time the fireworks get lit off on the 4th of July. :)

Yeah, even today with it being 53 outside I'm about to light my second small fire for the day. I'm really running through kindling.

I had to keep the morning going with a bit of kindling

Attachments

• 20190423_153351.jpg
    20190423_153351.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 306
Just burning electrons here. Daytime temps have been hanging around 60. I think this is the end of the season for us except for occasional chill chaser fires. Corn is starting to sprout and tomato seedlings need transplanting today.

Just burning electrons here. Daytime temps have been hanging around 60. I think this is the end of the season for us except for occasional chill chaser fires. Corn is starting to sprout and tomato seedlings need transplanting today.
5-6 degrees north of southern New Eng. and weeks ahead of us. Hell Seattle at 47+ degrees N is the same as Ft. Kent, Me. Tomatoes there maybe June 1.

It was 41 this morning so we burned some propane but today we hit 74, that felt great.

35 tonight, 39 for a high tomorrow (Saturday), possible snow this weekend.

Yep, still burning wood at night.

Still seeing mostly 40’s at night, and even an occasional 35F (eg. tonight), but with 60F (and even an occasional 70F) days, my head is out of burning mode, already. I’m trying to think of a way to convince the wife to let me take the kids sailing, this week! The water is still a little cold, for the wet dinghies we sail.

It's been damp and windy since the warmer weather started, so I've been burning two or three fires a day still. I've run out of wood allocated for this heating season and I'm burning straight bio bricks now. There's a half cord of sugar maple sitting in a shed I'm hoping to save for next year. I've got three cords of Balsam fir cut and split, some dead standing some cut living, but it's been so wet I'm sure it's soaked. I'm hoping to get more of the seasoned sugar maple for next season.

We're still burning some junk azz wood, we had 31 this morning with some overnight temps in the 20's coming in so we'll put a good sized load of seasoned pine in today.

I'm still burning 20-30 lbs of bio bricks per day. I might have to dip into next year's supply!

39º this morning, stove lit with a medium sized load. 2.5hrs later, stove top is at 550º, probe flue temp 400º. Away from the stove, the kitchen temp is at 72º. It's sunny and calm outside so I will just let the fire burn out.

Last edited: