Anyone else still burning wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Early this morning. Sent to me from a friend in Denver. No thanks.

View attachment 244362
I had some green showing this am
5665409a3fbf4def09993eaa9d7af187.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: WiscWoody
Ok... you have to tell me what the thing is outside your patio window with the yellow belt guard in it. I am curious...
Tile saw. It likes the view

We loaded up again this morning with some pine and cottonwood. Saturday is supposed to be 70º again though!

Reactions: SpaceBus
Had a fire last night, but not this morning, the sun returned!

Yesterday’s high was 49 and I had a few fires and I have my usual morning fire going now. They were just talking about how cool it’s been on the radio. It’s been very wet here too. I would think that it won’t be much longer and I can stop bringing fire wood in the house and get the stove ready for fall.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I burned two fires yesterday, and the house was 75 and the fire out when we went to bed. Low of 39 when we woke up, but house still 65. Finally we are having a sunny day, and I'm not burning this morning. We'll see what it's like when the sun drops below the tree line. I suspect we might be very close to a break in burning.

I burned two fires yesterday, and the house was 75 and the fire out when we went to bed. Low of 39 when we woke up, but house still 65. Finally we are having a sunny day, and I'm not burning this morning. We'll see what it's like when the sun drops below the tree line. I suspect we might be very close to a break in burning.
Between winter that hangs on forever, those Maine black flies that swarm you and eat you for one month of your best weather in spring, mud season, still-humid summers, and insane winters... I’m beginning to wonder about your choice to move to Maine, Bus!

I spent Sunday evening drinking and eating at the swimming pool, at a rare May high of 87F. Saturday and Monday were spent sailing in our more seasonable spring weather, mid-70’s with a nice breeze. You’re still burning wood to stay warm?!?

When it’s time to relocate for retirement, I will likely head to a place where I never need to split another stick of wood. This is fun for now, but I can foresee it getting old, before I do.

Reactions: Dix
Between winter that hangs on forever, those Maine black flies that swarm you and eat you for one month of your best weather in spring, mud season, still-humid summers, and insane winters... I’m beginning to wonder about your choice to move to Maine, Bus!

I spent Sunday evening drinking and eating at the swimming pool, at a rare May high of 87F. Saturday and Monday were spent sailing in our more seasonable spring weather, mid-70’s with a nice breeze. You’re still burning wood to stay warm?!?

When it’s time to relocate for retirement, I will likely head to a place where I never need to split another stick of wood. This is fun for now, but I can foresee it getting old, before I do.

Ha, I love this place. Every morning I see a small bay, I'm never hot, and the bugs aren't as bad as NC. Today it's 60 and sunny, yesterday started out foggy but became sunny. It's just new for me and I'm learning every day. There's a ton of Warblers, Chickadees, blue Jays, hawks, ospreys, eagles, turkey, and on and on that fly through my "yard" every day. It's amazing.

Also everywhere else is crowded.

I saw several Osprey today at the beach, both the animal and the aircraft. Kind of weird to see a SOCOM aircraft all the way out here.

Held off most of the day however it is a raw, rainy 44 degrees here right now so the wood stove is going to get cranked up again. Haven't used it for a week now, which is the longest time span with a cold stove since early last October.

fired up last night as it was only a toasty 60 deg in side. tossed a couple splits on this morning- more to drive the humidity level down inside.

June 1st: Lit a fire. Hoping for the heat and Summer to get here eventually.

Reactions: Dix and SpaceBus
With a low of 40 tonight and tomorrow night we'll be firing up the wood stove again. Whooda thunk I'd be burning wood the first week of June? Absolutely insane.

Yeah, we lit a fire this morning, it just hasn't really warmed up much today

Reactions: Todd67
ran a load yesterday, will likely fire up when i get home in about an hour or so to knock the chill out.

Reactions: Todd67
I've been lazy and been burning oil on these marginal days . . . something I typically end up doing at the tail end of the season for a week or two. This year it has been several weeks . . . rain and cold. Warms up to tolerable temps during the day, but it has been a very odd Spring. I think I've burned up more oil in the last few weeks than I did all winter long.

I almost turned on the propane furnace this morning but came to my senses and fired up the stove instead. I didn't fire it up last night, it was about 45 out this morning and a bit cool inside at 62.

With morning temps in the low 50s, the heat pump is loafing while warming up the house. After that the sun takes over and the house stays warm in the evening as we close up windows. I have a crap-load of scrap after loading 3 cord of wood in the shed. May burn some of that later this week if night temps drop into the high 40s just to get rid of it.

Seriously considering firing off the PE, and letting the OB take care of the lower zone. Anticipate 40F or less here tonight in the Hollow.

Covered my vegets w/ Dollar tree shower curtains, and hoping for the best :mad:

**Correction. Fired off**

Last edited:
On the water in Boston this week. They could still use some wood heat up here. It has been cool and windy.

We might light the stove tonight since it got windy and cold.

Fired up the stove this morning.

Reactions: EODMSgt
Thought I was done for a couple months but fired the stove up this morning. Just a dreary, raw, rainy morning in the mid-forties so fired up the stove to take the chill out.

Reactions: Todd67 and SpaceBus