Anyone ever burn elder?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karri0n

Nov 18, 2008
Eastern CT
If so, did you survive?

I ask because in almost every culture where elder trees grow, there's some kind of folk wisdom that says not to burn elder or make furniture out of it or you will be cursed. I believe in Ireland, it was only burned in funeral pyre and to burn it in your hearth would bring death into the home.

Ah yes, it is said the Hag Goddess lives in that tree. I told my superstitious wife that story and she wanted to put all the Boxelder back. I've burned it for years, good shoulder season wood. Similar to soft maples.

I'm not one to argue with folklore. The way I see it, there's plenty of oak available in my area.

"elder be the lady's tree, burn it not or cursed you'll be"

"Make a fire of Elder tree,
Death within your house will be;"

Yeah it a weird looking gangly tree...I can see why the ancients told stories about them. We cut down quite a bit of it back in the day as an unwanted nuisance tree and burned it in the stove. Easy to spot... 1st tree that greens up in the spring.

I burned a bunch of boxelder this fall. I still have a little bit, saving what's left to burn coals down. I dries to a very lightweight wood and burns fast. Good heat, burns fast, low coals.

I'm thinkin' boxelder ain't a true elder, so I figure I'm safe.

My paternal grandmother has several Boxelders growing around her house. They are the first to lose their leaves in the fall. They're also the first to shed limbs during any strong wind. They took some pretty heavy damage in an ice storm several years ago, and they're still shedding limbs from that event. I had to clean up several this week just to get up her driveway.

It seems like everyone is talking about Boxelder aka Maple Ash or Boxelder Maple. Has anyone burned actual elder?

I always thought Boxelder was "Elder"? Are you guys getting Elder confused with Alder?

Apparently no one has burned Elder and survived to tell the tale. Good to know.

Adios Pantalones said:
Elder is actually a large group of trees/plants. It's a more bush-like tree, and various parts are used for medicinal purposes of all sorts. It's not a boxelder.

Never burned it, personally

It's hypothesized that the reason for the folklore of the curse is due to these medicinal properties. Usually the wise person/healer/elder of the village would be the one to tell people about curses, etc, and wanted to prevent the elder trees from being clearcut for firewood or furniture, because it was very valuable for its medicinal properties.

All from Wikipedia:

"Sambucus (Elder or Elderberry) is a genus of between 5 and 30 species of shrubs or small trees (two species herbaceous), formerly treated in the honeysuckle family Caprifoliaceae, but now shown by genetic evidence to be correctly classified in the moschatel family Adoxaceae."

"The Elder Tree was supposed to ward off evil influence and give protection from witches, a popular belief held in widely-distant countries. If an elder tree was cut down, a spirit known as the Elder Mother would be released and take her revenge. The tree could only safely be cut while chanting a rhyme to the Elder Mother."

So, clearly, all one has to do is chant a rhyme. But which rhyme? Something by Vanilla Ice, perhaps?

Nice find Pagey! Hadn't thought of trying wikipedia, as they don't usually have things about curses.

I thought Boxelder was what you get when the morticians get done with elders that have died???? %-P

Gooserider

Good to hear boxelder is not elder because I have burned them , not great wood but like they say "non cursed wood is good wood "
is it any wonder that our elders tell us not to burn the elder tree duh.

Pagey said:
All from Wikipedia:

"Sambucus (Elder or Elderberry) is a genus of between 5 and 30 species of shrubs or small trees (two species herbaceous), formerly treated in the honeysuckle family Caprifoliaceae, but now shown by genetic evidence to be correctly classified in the moschatel family Adoxaceae."

"The Elder Tree was supposed to ward off evil influence and give protection from witches, a popular belief held in widely-distant countries. If an elder tree was cut down, a spirit known as the Elder Mother would be released and take her revenge. The tree could only safely be cut while chanting a rhyme to the Elder Mother."

So, clearly, all one has to do is chant a rhyme. But which rhyme? Something by Vanilla Ice, perhaps?

I believe repeating any rhyming lyrics by Vanilla Ice will actually make the curse more potent . . . plus your ears will begin to bleed and you will have an uncontrolled urge to bang your head repeatedly against the elder tree. ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
I believe repeating any rhyming lyrics by Vanilla Ice will actually make the curse more potent . . . plus your ears will begin to bleed and you will have an uncontrolled urge to bang your head repeatedly against the elder tree. ;) :)

Which would probably make it even more mad...

karri0n said:
firefighterjake said:

Which would probably make it even more mad...

I have the urge to hit HIS head on a tree any tree .....just to make it stop !

Gooserider said:
I thought Boxelder was what you get when the morticians get done with elders that have died???? %-P

Gooserider
I laughed at your post, but don't understand why (well maybe more of a guttural chuckle).
Could it be that I've exceeded my self prescribed dosage of Bourbon for this evening?

Status
Not open for further replies.