Anyone ever freeze pipes in their basement not running furnace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I see the temps dip below zero I tend to run my oil boiler a bit more . . . partly since the pipes run through my crawl space/basement (technically it'a s basement, but not a full basement -- I guess you could call it a a hunched over space or a short wall basement) and running the boiler will heat things up . . . of course I have also insulated the rim joists and staple plastic on the windows down there every Fall.

Been there, froze a loop of the in radiator system. Fortunately, the area that froze was PEX between the radiators. I took an electric space heater and thawed it out in about 4 hours. The cause was a small gap in the foundation where air was being sucked across the pipe. Indirectly, the cause was the wood insert because it is probably contributing to more air being pulled into the house for combustion. I wrapped the pipe with 2 layers of pipe insulation and the problem has not resurfaced and tried to plug the gap. The long term answer is going to be spray foaming the rim joist with foam when the weather gets warmer.

Yup, I've done it, and I have spent the 24 years prior to busting my own pipes in a showroom telling folks how not to bust their pipes. But I'm also the guy who after 2+ decades still managed to catch my dumpster on fire with ash that "should have been cool" Sometimes, you get waaaay to comfortable thinkin you know it all....then realize your still an idiot.

OhioBurner© said:
Adios Pantalones said:
Those saying that a window would have to be open must have seriously tight houses.

+1

I had two lines freeze over the weekend, and its only been down to 0 at the lowest.

In my folks house I remember them bursting a line in the crawlspace - thats fun to deal with crawling under the kitchen in dirt for 20 feet getting soaked in freezing temperatures.

those who had pipes break, how old are your homes? how many windows in the basement?
is your home drafty?
i have a stove rated for 1900 sq ft in my home and the house is 3100 sq ft. it heats just fine untill its 10F or colder. then the firnace will kick on when im not home.
however i have all vents for the basement shut as i see no need to heat down there.
it has never gotten below 52 in the basement

1926 house, stove keeps the main floor cozy but the thermostat is righ next to it so the furnace almost never comes on. Basement stays cool, not sure prob around 50-52. The only problem I've had is that the bathroom is on the NW corner (lots of wind) above a crawl space accessed from the basement. When I redid the plumbing I ran all lines as far inside as possible, but the toilet is in the very far corner. It froze up once, so the last cold snap I was kinda worried. I crawled in there to heat-tape and insulate the pipes, unfortunately it was so cold that by the time I got back upstairs to check it, it was already frozen! Next summer maybe an insulation project for the rim joists.

A subject near and dear to me.......my basement is not finished, uninsulated block walls and is unheated other than my oil boiler in the corner. I worry a little on the cold nights about freezing down there. The lowest temp I have seen down there was this winter.......36 degrees! Most all winter the temp stays around 42. I go down and check all the time. Been a cold winter! With 15 years and counting, no froze pipes yet!

Franks said:
Yup, I've done it, and I have spent the 24 years prior to busting my own pipes in a showroom telling folks how not to bust their pipes. But I'm also the guy who after 2+ decades still managed to catch my dumpster on fire with ash that "should have been cool" Sometimes, you get waaaay to comfortable thinkin you know it all....then realize your still an idiot.

boy aint that the truth!

par0thead151 said:
those who had pipes break, how old are your homes? how many windows in the basement?
is your home drafty?

My pipes have froze but no bursts yet. House is around 2400 I think, half 1901 half 1990ish. Drafty, check; poorly insulated, check. basement has 2 small windows on one end and 2 small ones on other. Yes several drafts in basement needing attention. Not sure what rating the stove is, no one here seems to be able to identify it, but I think we have the sqft easily covered +25%. Furnace does not run ever if keeping both stoves going.

Status
Not open for further replies.