Anyone ever made thier own refractory box???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyld Bill

Feb 5, 2011
Maine
SO,..I was thinking of making my won refractoy box for the VC Defiant CN I just bought. Anyone ever done this with some refractory board & metal pins or some sort of high temp glue? Also could I fix a piece that is ceramic & cracked in two??

existing peices that are broken are hard to fix, so "no" to the 2nd question.. as to the 1st, I don't see why not... you'd have to reconstruct the dimensions and openings exactly. I'd use some hi temp castable refractory (Rutland makes it), make a form and give it a go! The caveat, is that you really kinda void any mfg responsibility for the function, performance and safety tested specs for this stove by doing so...

What about having the same box made out of thick stainless steel? That should be able to take the heat I'd think & would be a lot more durable.

As mentioned in the other thread, search the forum. There's been info posted before about making parts and repairing broken ones.
I used a perlite/furnace cement mixture to repair small crumbled/broken spots, and metal wire to pin together clean breaks. After a couple of years, I broke down and paid for a proper replacement refractory box.

Wyld Bill said:
What about having the same box made out of thick stainless steel? That should be able to take the heat I'd think & would be a lot more durable.

would cost you many times more. save the forms, and you could replace it for 50 bucks worth of castable every time.

that, and I think stainless would crap out from the heat.

Wyld Bill said:
SO,..I was thinking of making my won refractoy box for the VC Defiant CN I just bought. Anyone ever done this with some refractory board & metal pins or some sort of high temp glue? Also could I fix a piece that is ceramic & cracked in two??

Although repairing cracked/broken ceramic is indeed not easy, as mentioned by Summit, there are a number of high-temperature ceramic glues/cements that are designed to do just that. In a past life I successfully used some types of Bostik Ceramaseal, as well as Sauereisen, cements to repair some of our high temperature ovens in a research laboratory setting. Also great to imbed thermocouples and other metal implements.

When I looked at the Ceramaseal and Sauereisen websites, however, I could not easily figure out which one of the many products we might have used. Also, it is not always easy to find these products in small retail quantities.

So I checked out <www.slumpys.com> a website frequented by glass blowing and metal casting enthusiasts and found Amaco kiln cement (~$ 12) which they sell for repairing the very demanding types of kilns and ovens used by their clients. In case you would like to reinforce the break a bit you may also want to look at a few dollars worth of Ceratek fiber cloth on the Slumpys site, which can be used underneath the kiln cement (similar to the way one would use glass cloth underneath polyester resin when making a boat).

IMHO, worth a try if the broken piece is difficult or expensive to replace and is not located in a high weight bearing area, i.e. directly underneath logs and/or grates.

Henk

PyMS, you seem like a wealth of information. I'm glad you joined this community here. Seems like you fit right in, almost like you were always here. Thanks for the info, I'll keep it in mind for future reference.

VCBurner said:
PyMS, you seem like a wealth of information. I'm glad you joined this community here. Seems like you fit right in, almost like you were always here. Thanks for the info, I'll keep it in mind for future reference.

Thanks for the kind words. I feel indeed very much at home on this forum. probably because what was my work for so many years now seems to have become my hobby again...

The bad news is that I easily get too enthusiastic about numbers and details. On the other hand, I don't mind a good kick in the rear if that happens ;)

The good news is there will be longer periods of time that I won't have access to a computer (can almost hear the sighs of relief all around .... :) ).

Henk

I looked it the mess & tried to piece things together. It looks like a cast piece with a piece of 1/2 refractory board screwed & glued to it. The part that is all broken up is MOSTLY just the refractory board. So I set the peices together & made a drawing with measurements as best I could tell (jigsaw puzzle with pieces missing). I removed all the old refactory board from the cast piece. I'm going to get a piece of refractory board & some special glue (furnace cement??) to rebuild it. The otehr piece that is broken is a ceramic piece the call a "shoe refractory". It just has one part broke off on one end and a triangle shaped piece that broke out at the break location. I'm going to try to fix this piece too since it is $225. So my anxiety level has dropped a little. I completely tore down the whole woodstove because whoever rebuilt it recently didn't know what they were doing & did a hack job.

dougand3 said:
I read it & that's perfect info. In fact I actually did the same thing a few years ago for my old Defiant Encore catilitic box. That oen was going ot be like $250 or something so I copied what was left of it & used just t-pins to hold it together. Gonna try something similar again on this one I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.