Anyone Have a Survival Hybrid from Woodstock Soapstone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just look at how much you've gleaned from this thread alone, regarding how to tip-toe around the code. ==c
I think you're completely missing the point of my initial inquiry... or you have your tongue firmly planted in your cheek.

Last edited:
If there is ever a fire even if not caused by the stove, it’s unlikely insurance will cover it.

We believe that the prohibition of “gasoline or other flammable vapors” is not gasoline tanks but gasoline vapors. Just as propane/acetylene tanks are allowed in a building with a solid fuel heater. The key is that these vapors are not released into the space.

LP tanks are ASME pressure vessels not allowed in buildings.
LP cylinders (DOT) are also not allowed in buildings.
LP torch cylinders can be stored in buildings and are not DOT approved, so they can not be refilled and transported.
Heating the building has nothing to do with it. It is to prevent the vapor if released from being contained inside any structure.
Ref. NFPA 58

Notice when filling a cylinder or changing one out, there is normally a sign on the door prohibiting any cylinders in building.

Gasoline vapor is far more dangerous than propane or acetylene since their vapors readily mix with air and become too lean to burn very quickly. (when not contained in unvented space) Gasoline spilled or leaked, slowly vaporizes and remains flammable for much longer.

How can that be true when every camper, motor home, or 5th wheel rv stored inside has a propane tank in it?

How can that be true when every camper, motor home, or 5th wheel rv stored inside has a propane tank in it?
DOT cylinders are mounted outside on trailer frame, Motorhomes have ASME tanks underneath, outside. An rv like 5th wheel or truck camper will have a ventilated compartment to the outdoors. Since LP vapor is heavier than air and drops readily, depending on cylinder size and compartment size, the bottom must be open. You also can’t have the regulator inside since the regulator is vented to the atmosphere. High pressure lines and high pressure regulator outside only. If the diaphragm is punctured the vapor leaks out of the vent hole. Low pressure standards are NFPA 54. High pressure NFPA 58.

Propane filling stations are outdoors or under open shelters. Only new cylinders are allowed in buildings. A new tank must have the air purged out of it before filling, then a 1075 flammable gas sticker applied and can never be taken into a building. Period.

Reasons; If relief valve opens during over pressure. It cannot release in confined area. Cylinder installation must be outside over 10 feet from building entrance (window or vent openings) or ignition source. (a/c or electric meter, grills) Relief valve pointed away from building. ASME tanks have distance from building, property lines and railroads. See cylinder and tank placement NFPA 58.

Obviously if tank or cylinder leaks from ground ring or appurtenances. (valve, stem, filler bleed, or relief valve.

Propane vapor when mixed with proper amount of air burns. When confined it explodes. When liquid is ignited it is called a BLEVE. Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion. That happens when a cylinder or tank is in a fire inside a building. Absolutely prohibited.

Last edited:
Reactions: begreen
I would check the Home Depot/ Lowes in your area and see if they have any of the $300 summers heat stoves left from the Spring sale, probably not but worth a shot, they will get the job done at a cheap price. They will heat up the shop quickly since it is a tube stove and still burn clean.

Just don't go installing one in your bedroom :ZZZ

I have had 4 different types of campers and not one had propane inside. They had either an exterior mounted tank or the tank was in a separate, ventilated compartment. In each of them, there was also a propane sensing alarm.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I have had 4 different types of campers and not one had propane inside. They had either an exterior mounted tank or the tank was in a separate, ventilated compartment. In each of them, there was also a propane sensing alarm.

In them, on them, whatever. Lots and lots of us store the RVs and their propane tanks inside buildings. There are also lots of commercial indoor storage buildings for the same.

The campers and 5th wheel guys have storage compartments that contain the propane tanks, trailers are out on the tongue usually but not always. Regardless. There's a tank.

I don't think this has anything to do with the thread topic but I suppose it's a dead thread anyway.

@valuman did you decide? Or do you have more questions?

Reactions: valuman
In them, on them, whatever. Lots and lots of us store the RVs and their propane tanks inside buildings. There are also lots of commercial indoor storage buildings for the same.

The campers and 5th wheel guys have storage compartments that contain the propane tanks, trailers are out on the tongue usually but not always. Regardless. There's a tank.

I don't think this has anything to do with the thread topic but I suppose it's a dead thread anyway.
And those tanks are supposed to be removed when the RVs are stored inside. Some storage places require it others don't. But again simply because some people choose to ignore a regulation doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Or that there are not potential repercussions involved.

Reactions: SpaceBus
And those tanks are supposed to be removed when the RVs are stored inside. Some storage places require it others don't. But again simply because some people choose to ignore a regulation doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Or that there are not potential repercussions involved.

Maybe. I don’t know. Cleaned any chimneys lately?

Maybe. I don’t know. Cleaned any chimneys lately?
A couple emergency calls. We are going to do a few masonry jobs that are leaking bad in the next couple weeks

Reactions: Highbeam
Status
Not open for further replies.