Anyone have Drolet Escape 1800i ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Guys, Im looking at the Century CW2900 vs the Drolet 1800i. It seems they are almost identical and made by SBI. It appears that the Century includes the faceplate and maybe the blower motors are different? Does anyone have any info here?

thanks,

Drew

Guys, Im looking at the Century CW2900 vs the Drolet 1800i. It seems they are almost identical and made by SBI. It appears that the Century includes the faceplate and maybe the blower motors are different? Does anyone have any info here?

thanks,

Drew
Door's different. I believe that's all.

I got ahold of SBI and they said the fireplace and dimensional requirements were the same. It looks like the blower motors might be different but im still working on that one...

I’ve ordered twice from them, both times there were foreign currency fees. Like I said, if your credit card charges for that, you will see it, but it doesn’t come from the website.
Did you order from the Canadian site?

The prices are listed in US dollars on the site I bought from.

I'm curious how much a credit card company charges in currency fees when you are paying in US dollars.

I'm certain SBI has a US bank that deals in dollars, as I bet much of their business comes from the US.

Please don't interpret this as questioning your statement, I already did that and you straightened me out (which I appreciate). I just wonder if there are two ways to order, or if your cc company is ripping you off.

thanks,

Drew

The door, the blower, the surround, and the warranty are different. Otherwise it’s the same insert.

The Century unit does include the faceplate.

FWIW, I like mine and since it’s virtually the same as the Drolet and Osburn units, I’m not worried about the warranty only being 5 years. That’s really just cost cutting to lower the price further as the consumer takes on more risk, but again, it’s the same insert. My thought was if they’re willing to stand behind it for lifetime on the other brand for a higher price, I should be fine without what’s essentially an extended warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Did you order from the Canadian site?

The prices are listed in US dollars on the site I bought from.

I'm curious how much a credit card company charges in currency fees when you are paying in US dollars.

I'm certain SBI has a US bank that deals in dollars, as I bet much of their business comes from the US.

Please don't interpret this as questioning your statement, I already did that and you straightened me out (which I appreciate). I just wonder if there are two ways to order, or if your cc company is ripping you off.

If there’s another way to order, I haven’t found it. From what I can tell, they just present prices to you in USD, doesn’t necessarily mean you’re buying it in USD.