What's an ash generator ?

2. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 10, 2008
    Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Pellets of the premium variety run from 4 pounds of ash (high end Douglas fir) .2% to 20 pounds at the 1% limit then we have standard grade and then utility. That ash has to go somewhere, the ash pan and inside the fire box get a good deal of it the rest gets stuck in the rest of the stoves internal exhaust path and finally in the exhaust venting.

So where is it going in your greater than 26' of venting?

ETA: Poundage is per ton and says nothing about the volume which is an entirely different critter.

A link to look at that should give you an idea. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/2010-pellet-review-its-that-time-again.54880/

3. Pascal_Maertens

Pascal_Maertens
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Mar 25, 2014
    Loc:
    Mont-Laurier, Qc
    Look at this pdf file if you are talking about the installation of your chimney this is a chart that you should consider (the LEE chart) there is a maximum of pipe you can put and also a maximum of horizontal length vs vertical length

Attached Files:

• LEE.pdf
      File size:
      95.6 KB
      Views:
  4. NorthoftheQuabbin

NorthoftheQuabbin
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 29, 2015
    Loc:
    Massachusetts

I dialed down the stove's pellet feed rate to the minimum this morning, and so far it's performed about the best I've seen it.

Fixed ? Coincidence ? Hand of God ? Who knows ?

5. chken

chken
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 7, 2013
    Loc:
    Maine
    Do the pellets look smaller? Smaller/shorter pellets will give you more fuel for the same feed rate, so when switching pellet brands just look at them to see if they appear different. You'll need to adjust the air or feed rate if they're much different.

6. NorthoftheQuabbin

NorthoftheQuabbin
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 29, 2015
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I've been using the same brand of pellets for the last month = Okanagan Premium (red) softwood.

7. NorthoftheQuabbin

NorthoftheQuabbin
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 29, 2015
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    At the risk of summoning ill-fate, the stove has performed the best I've ever seen it - over the last 24 hours.

Not sure how to account for it ? It's been extremely cold over the last 24 hours (-20 this morning). Maybe the low temperate has kept the stove in high mode ? But, then again it was very cold last friday, when it had a relapse.

Maybe is was reducing the pellet feed after all ?

8. chken

chken
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 7, 2013
    Loc:
    Maine
    There are too many variables to ever put your finger on one. First, you were maxed on air, meaning you had no more adjustment that way. The alternative is to adjust feed rates, which is what you did. I adjust my feed rate down when I switch to FSUs, since they are a short pellet. You could have had a bag with short pellets, you could have had a bag that had excess moisture. The location of your vent termination is in a tricky spot, subject to wind. Was it a windy night? Did the wind come from a specific direction? When you have a stove for a while, you learn that sometimes you get a fluke occurrence and not to stress out about it. Given that you were maxed on air already, shortening the pellet feed rate can't hurt, in fact it should help give you some headroom to make air adjustments going forward as air adjustments are far easier to assess than feed adjustments.

9. CleanFire

CleanFire
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Jan 16, 2015
    Loc:
    sw NH
    On the Francesca here, which has the same feed / air adjustments, I found that reducing each power level feed rate by .1 to an (odd) number helped - auger feed became more consistent, it allowed for better fine-tuning of flame when burning softwood pellets. (Hope the tip helps.)

10. NorthoftheQuabbin

NorthoftheQuabbin
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 29, 2015
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Point well taken.

11. NorthoftheQuabbin

NorthoftheQuabbin
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 29, 2015
    Loc:
    Massachusetts

So far, it seems that my stove likes to run on maximum combustion speed, at a reduced pellet feed rate.

While it may not prove to be the most efficient in terms of burn to heat ratio, it's appears to be running at its best right now.

But, who knows ? Tomorrow Linda Blair may suddenly jump out of the hopper spewing pea soup.

12. chken

chken
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 7, 2013
    Loc:
    Maine
    Check your exhaust temps. That will give you an indication of whether you are burning too hot and throwing heat out the exhaust. In general, on Power 1, my exhaust temp is about 200F, while on Power 5, my exhaust temp can get up to 265F, but is usually lower. If the temps are high, you can raise the room blower fan to draw more heat out of the convection fins, thus lowering the exhaust temps.

Also, if the exhaust temps are too low, under 200F, then you'll get a dirtier burn.

13. NorthoftheQuabbin

NorthoftheQuabbin
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 29, 2015
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    My exhaust temps typically stay between the upper 190's and lower 200's. And, I mostly run the room blower on the highest setting of 38.

Also, I always run my stove on P5 and regulate it by temperature setting.

Good news too. My stove has been running for two plus days straight with no build up so fat.

Ah, now I just jinxed myself !

14. NorthoftheQuabbin

NorthoftheQuabbin
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 29, 2015
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I assume that exhaust temperature is based on combustion rate, and cannot be adjusted in any way ?

15. NorthoftheQuabbin

NorthoftheQuabbin
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 29, 2015
    Loc:
    Massachusetts

I generally run air fan at it's highest mainly because I have a very large, open structure home. Also, I will give the Piazzetta stoves credit, in that they're are very quiet.

I'll try your technique of lowering the air fan, and see what happens.

16. CleanFire

CleanFire
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Jan 16, 2015
    Loc:
    sw NH
    If you use an IR Thermometer aimed at a fixed point inside the stove, you can determine the best fire temp while adjusting air - you are looking for the hottest temp, and good flame.. If the flame becomes lazy, bump up the exhaust air.

Best to do this after the stove has reached operating temp. / been running for awhile.. Give the stove a chance to burn on each adjusted setting, at least 10-15 minutes (or longer) to observe and verify.

17. CleanFire

CleanFire
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Jan 16, 2015
    Loc:
    sw NH
    Then you would have been absolutely astounded to see the camera tripod set up 24" in front of the room blower outlet, with a external temperature probe affixed, verifying exit temp. of air from the heat exchanger, while I was using the IR Thermometer. :)

I understand what you are saying, and agree that visual observation is best - I used these measuring tools to verify that the maximum amount of BTU's were being extracted at a given feed rate, and to allow for finer adjustment using the User Draft and Pellet Feed control settings.

Dialing in the stove this way saved me, a new pellet stove owner, a lot of time in setup, and having empirical data verifying visual observation meant I could 'dial-in' each power level much quicker.

18. CleanFire

CleanFire
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Jan 16, 2015
    Loc:
    sw NH
    A valid point - if we needed to change from softwood to hardwood pellets, or different brands, I would have to repeat this process over.

What it did help with was determining the 'sweet spot' of the exhaust blower RPM for the stove w/ the vent used here, there is a fixed range exhaust blower values from P2 - P5, that increment consistently.

Now that we've been burning a few months, I know how to 'tweak' a setting visually, but as a new owner (of a used CL stove, that needed repair) setting up for the first time, the 'tech' did help.

19. NorthoftheQuabbin

NorthoftheQuabbin
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 29, 2015
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Gotcha

20. NorthoftheQuabbin

NorthoftheQuabbin
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 29, 2015
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    There is simply no way that my stove can run on any other exhaust fan speed than maximum. In fact, if there was a way to raise it even higher I would.
    So far, running my stove at maximum fan speed, with a reduction in pellet feed, has been its only savior.

21. johninwi

johninwi
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Aug 22, 2014
    Loc:
    madison wisconsin
    I'm going to guess chickenman is going to tell you to reduce your pellet feed further, keep reducing till you need to reduce the exhaust speed.
    Keep reducing the feed to a point where you need to reduce the air, then you'll be able to make finer adjustments with the exhaust air speed.

22. NorthoftheQuabbin

NorthoftheQuabbin
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 29, 2015
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    My stove is already on its lowest feed setting.

23. NorthoftheQuabbin

NorthoftheQuabbin
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 29, 2015
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
  24. NorthoftheQuabbin

NorthoftheQuabbin
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 29, 2015
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I'm not sure what the actual feed rate is ? All I can say is that I have it set at the lowest the stove will allow me too. Something like 6 ? And I believe it was initially set at 8.2 ?

25. NorthoftheQuabbin

NorthoftheQuabbin
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 29, 2015
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I probably burn through a bag during an 8 to 10 hour period.