Anything special for soapstone water pot..?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkazak

Jan 21, 2014
Nebraska
With burning season about to get underway I'm wondering if there is anything in particular I need for a water (humidifier) pot on top of my Mansfield.
Been using a regular cooking pot on my Lopi Liberty and I have a cast iron "teapot" from a Bennington purchase but unsure if either of those will call trouble on top of the soapstone....advice please. Don't want to dry out the structure of my log house.

Better off with an actual humidifier from all the advice I've seen I had a cast iron teapot last year didn't feel I gave enough. But I also don't have a soapstone

A steamer on a stove is really like a drop in a bucket compared to the amount of humidity needed. I actually monitor humidity levels in the same room as the stove. The steamer never moved the gauge at all.. If you are going to use one, use some self adhesive woodstove gasket on the bottom of the steamer so it doesn't scratch the stove top.

If you do scratch soapstone, it's easy to polish out. Steel wool or sandpaper will take care of it. It's really quite difficult to hurt soapstone. Remember those black table tops in the science class in high school? Those are soapstone.

If you do scratch soapstone, it's easy to polish out. Steel wool or sandpaper will take care of it. It's really quite difficult to hurt soapstone. Remember those black table tops in the science class in high school? Those are soapstone.
It's quite easy to hurt. Hence all the cracked soapstone stoves I see...

I have a ceramic pot on my Heritage. Whatever you choose, put some of that door seal stripping on the bottom to keep it from scratching the stove.

I have a ceramic pot on my Heritage. Whatever you choose, put some of that door seal stripping on the bottom to keep it from scratching the stove.
?? Is that rated for stove top temps?

Trivet and a cast iron tea kettle just for looks , it never put out enough humidity , so now I don't bother filling it.

Be careful placing anything heavy on top of a Mansfield. I recently purchased an older, used Mansfield that has no evidence of being overfired. The inside (plate steel baffle plates aren't warped ect) However, there is approximately 1/4" sag in the top soapstones center line of the stove. There's also a couple scratches in the center stone, which may be from a water pot being placed by the previous owner. None of this affects how the stove functions, but I have to think the sagging was caused by additional weight placed on the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.