Applewood makes me hungry!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonSTART

Minister of Fire
The load of wood I pulled from a coworker's house today was all applewood and man does that stuff ever smell good! I got about a half a cord of it with a little left on the ground still. So far I've pulled some pine, oak, birch, and now apple out of there. Free best of all. I might throw a few pieces in the grill this summer.

cmonSTART said:
The load of wood I pulled from a coworker's house today was all applewood and man does that stuff ever smell good! I got about a half a cord of it with a little left on the ground still. So far I've pulled some pine, oak, birch, and now apple out of there. Free best of all. I might throw a few pieces in the grill this summer.

yeep use the apple for smokin!

I have a stack of branches I was burning from the "top side"of the yard on Sunday morning & felt the same way. Don't know what it was though, possibly poplar?

I cut down an apple tree in my backyard that I was putting more work into than I was getting apples out of.
One good batch of apples every ten years isn't good enough.
Chain saw time.

Smelled like wood to me.
Nothing noteworthy like pine or cherry or red oak.
Burned nice though. :)

people who bbq slow smokin will pay very well for it!

I cut up some applewood this spring, and it really did smell wonderful; even the sawdust pile had a great aroma. Not sure, but just as different apple varieties have widely different flavors in the fruit (especially old and/ or wild apples), perhaps the trees also vary in strength and variation of smell from the wood?

Anyone ever burn peach? I have a dead peach tree that I have to cut down, and am wondering how that will burn (and how it will smell! ;-) )

newstove said:
Anyone ever burn peach? I have a dead peach tree that I have to cut down, and am wondering how that will burn (and how it will smell! ;-) )

another great wood for smokin meat. Burns good!

Two Saturdays ago I was up at our local compost site, and saw some pretty good-sized sections of Mulberry sitting a little ways away from the regular pile of rounds, splits, pieces etc. I thought that I had better ask the worker there if it was off-limits or okay to take. Well, the worker on duty was my neighbor, and he said "that's free to anyone that wants it; we're suprised that no one has taken it" to which I replied "it's because it's that word W-O-R-K that's why no one has taken it" so I procedeed to go back over to cut it up, and this guy was throwing Apple pieces into the assortment pile. I asked "are you depositing Apple" and he said "yeah, do you want it?" and I said "absolutely!" and got a decent amount for my woodstove and smaller stuff for chimineas. As I was doing that, another older guy comes up looking for wood, and I end up helping him out-even cut a few pieces down to size for him. Then my neighbor that works there comes up and says "you know that pile of Pin Oak that I have laying out back? You can have it; I was going to use that in the chiminea but I have tons of wood, and I'm a coal guy so you can have it!". Well, I ended up helping load that into a neighbor's truck who lives down the alley because I thought of him and he's had some health issues and was low on wood and needed it more than I so it all worked out fine. It was one of those days where everyone benefits and leaves happy.

Sorry for the rambling, but yes Applewood kicks ass!!! :)

When I was a wee lad , my Grandpa on his farm would always keep huge chunks of Applewood for those extra cold nights. I remember walking into the back room, where the dogs slept, amongst the barn coats and boots was a big pile of Applewood chunks for the toploader stove in the kitchen. Applewood and it's unique smell = childhood memories.

Your Grandpa was wise. Apple is good for this.

Now on the aroma thing and making one hungry, that can be cured very quickly. Just find a thorn apple and cut that. It will cure a big appetite fast! Nasty stuff and we have lots of it on our place.

Status
Not open for further replies.