April Firewood Festival

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Do you like locust?

• Yes

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
I cut down a dead standing locust yesterday. This tree was 80 feet tall, been dead for five years at least.
This dry old locust is hard to saw! Got a Husqvarna with a sharp chain, but it is rough to cut through this wood.
I got 2/3 of a truck load. I brought a piece inside the house last night to get it to room temp. Split it this morning, look at this moisture content.
! IMG_4898.JPGIMG_4900.JPG

That will burn like coal!!!!

This wood is really a bear to split. It is so dry, and the grain is not straight it is all woven. The little Boss did a good job.

Nice score. Sounds like it gave that little Boss a good workout.

There were 19 pieces. One piece, the Boss couldn't crack. It bogged down. I made a circular saw cut across one end, a cut 2 1/2 inches deep, and then the Boss handled it fine.
I have split a lot of locust, often it is pretty straight grained and not too hard to split. This was some mean locust with a twisty, woven grain.. Gonna light up the stove with it tomorrow morning.

Reactions: dafattkidd
Nice! I’ve only ever split green locust. It was stringy and very tough to split. I can’t imagine splitting 5 year seasoned locust.

There's more where that came from...
I went back today to get another dead standing locust. If you are good with a saw you can tell when you are cutting a really dense, hard wood. This locust gave the Husqvarna a workout! Plus it was up on a steep hill, lots of briars etc. But I got 2/3 of a truck full zero rot, no doubt this load will be about 12.9 percent moisture. Gonna be a bear to split I bet, will give the little Boss another good workout tomorrow. This is the best firewood available around here.
IMG_4916.JPG

I am a big fan of Black Locust , yes - hard to saw after sitting for along time. I scored a log load of it years ago -waited a few years to cut & split - wood was 16% moisture. You did good - got yours without the bark too easy clean-up.