Are gaps in the chimney flue really a big deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have heard about this but I would like to know where you or other people heard about this? I've seen this on chimney sweep websites but i find it mostly to sell a labor
How it this hard to imagine happening?

Ok. So, your mortar is compromised. Creosote is getting into the cracks. How do you get into the cracks to remove it? It’ll continue to seep into the chimney itself. On some older houses, you can see it seeping through the outside of the chimney. If it were to ignite and catch on the outside, there is nothing stopping it from igniting your house. A liner will stop this.

Here’s a pic off Reddit. I never thought to take pics when I saw it. I’ve seen it much worse though.

D864223C-5AC1-45AA-9EE4-F1E349475EF3.jpeg

Everybody is talking about installing a liner but what's wrong with older flues? How did you find the fact that creosote can go through the cracks?
How could it not? Creosote is condensed smoke. The smoke gets past the gaps and condenses.

How it this hard to imagine happening?
There is more than 50 inch of pipes connected to the stove before the smoke enters in the flue and then the flue is 20ft height from the connection to the top. I guess due to the long commute the temperature has time to decrease.
I also don't do huge and super hot fires. Only when I start it or maybe once a day

Ok. So, your mortar is compromised. Creosote is getting into the cracks. How do you get into the cracks to remove it? It’ll continue to seep into the chimney itself. On some older houses, you can see it seeping through the outside of the chimney. If it were to ignite and catch on the outside, there is nothing stopping it from igniting your house. A liner will stop this.

Here’s a pic off Reddit. I never thought to take pics when I saw it. I’ve seen it much worse though.

View attachment 319524
There is more than 50 inch of pipes connected to the stove before the smoke enters in the flue and then the flue is 20ft height from the connection to the top. I guess due to the long commute the temperature has time to decrease.
I also don't do huge and super hot fires. Only when I start it or maybe once a day

We can only advise you. Multiple people have told you that it is a huge safety hazard for you, your family and your house operating that flue in its current condition. Common sense should be common in this situation. If you choose to ignore it and something happens that’s on you 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: kborndale
I bet that is correct. Startups are probably cooler too. Over years I bet this could cause the buildup behind the liner.

The thermal mass of the masonry keeps it from warming up quickly too.

When it comes down to it, we aren’t trying to sell you anything.

I encourage you to look into insulated liners.