Are there any double sided wood stoves certified under the EPA 2020 regulations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Began79

Jan 19, 2022
United States
I've located the EPA's list of certified wood stoves that meet the new 2020 regulations, but cannot tell (without looking up each stove individually) whether any stove has a double-sided option. We are updating a two-sided fireplace and would like to take advantage of the EPA's tax credit if there are double-sided options available. But maybe that's a unicorn given the efficiency requirements for the tax credit?

Not that I know of. One option would be to install a stove or insert on one side and metal grillework on the other opening that disguise the back of the insert or stove while allowing heat to pass through it. Another option might be to install 2 inserts back to back if this is a large fireplace.

That's a freestander. I think that Supreme dropped that line in 2020. It sounds like they want an insert.

Curious if there is anything new to report on this thread. We are looking for one for a new build. I had no idea they cannot be found with the new regulations.

Curious if there is anything new to report on this thread. We are looking for one for a new build. I had no idea they cannot be found with the new regulations.
For a new build you would want a fireplace not an insert. I believe there are still a few fireplaces available

Hi,
I'm just checking into this thread. I moved 3yrs ago to a home that has a see-through gas fireplace. While it looks nice, I really miss my wood stove and would like to replace the gas fireplace with a double sided wood stove / fireplace if they are available in the US. The fireplace is currently in a studded wall that separates 2 areas, so that could be remodeled to accept either a fireplace or a free standing stove. The Supreme Vision mentioned above looks interesting.... I'll have to check it out.

We researched double-sided as we learned in our new (3 years ago) home that double-sided fireplaces are very efficient smoke generators and air conditioners. ;-) The best solution for us was to leave the glass doors and screen in the dining room side and put an insert into the living room side. The glass doors fully hide the back of the insert, and when we open those doors for heat in the dining room, the "chain" style screen mostly hides it, so we are satisfied.

-dan

We researched double-sided as we learned in our new (3 years ago) home that double-sided fireplaces are very efficient smoke generators and air conditioners. ;-) The best solution for us was to leave the glass doors and screen in the dining room side and put an insert into the living room side. The glass doors fully hide the back of the insert, and when we open those doors for heat in the dining room, the "chain" style screen mostly hides it, so we are satisfied.

-dan
Dan, would you have a picture of the back side of your insert? We're getting a bid on a wood burning insert for our double sided fireplace, the side opening into the kitchen/dining room would be the backside. One place we talked to typically fastens a black metal rectangular piece. We'd like to explore our options, ideally something more aesthetic. The present glass doors reflect the 70s build. I'll try to post a picture.

Here're both sides, looking for ideas on covering or utilizing the brick/kitchen side of this fireplace once we get a wood burning insert on the stone side/living room.

20221022_152249.jpg 20221022_152331.jpg

Dan, would you have a picture of the back side of your insert? We're getting a bid on a wood burning insert for our double sided fireplace, the side opening into the kitchen/dining room would be the backside. One place we talked to typically fastens a black metal rectangular piece. We'd like to explore our options, ideally something more aesthetic. The present glass doors reflect the 70s build. I'll try to post a picture.
Here are pix from the dining room side, with doors closed, and open, so you can see that the back of the insert is fairly well concealed. The installer offered to paint the sheet metal back of the stove, but we decided it doesn't need it.

E55999B3-A1A7-409E-84A5-845FE5B513BA.jpeg 6BE86C32-26EE-49D3-9495-52F0053D04E2.jpeg

Thank you! That looks very nice! Your black surround and door trim looks sharp! If we end up keeping our doors, I would check into having ours painted black. I've been googling 'fireplace covers' and 'options for non-working fireplaces' and am finding some options.

Reactions: danham