Ariens 22 ton splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of trash, I got some sheets of maple bark, I'm talking 12by8 inch average, what are these good for?

One thing I see, from your pictures is a thick foot base plate at the end of the beam. It's hard to see it's construction, but it needs to be one of the strongest things on the splitter. On my MTD is about a 6" x 12" x 1" plate welded to the end of the beam. My question, when you swing the beam vertical isn't the floor of the plate 3 or 4 inches off the ground? If so it seams like it will be difficult getting big rounds to sit level. When mine is not dug into the ground I fill in around it with mulch to make it level.

The foot IS very thick, too thick. I'm going to process some wood in the morning I scrounged today (a big fat 30 to 40" Oak). So I'll take a close look at it to see how the foot is made.... It's 3 or 4 inches thick, I think if I recall, it's about a 1" plate coming off the beam, and then another plate welded to that. One thing I like on the plate is it has some of the largest teeth sticking out of it I've seen to hold the round from slipping out. When it's vert, the few big splits I tried on it were fine. but I did try laying a large 2' length of dock scrap wood I have next to the foot also. It's a large thick plank about 3" thick, 2' long x 18" wide. I just laid it along side the foot, and it matched up. I'm going to cut the foots shape out of the plank, so it can be laid right around the foot. Then you just roll the round up and plop it down on the foot and plank which is just a big flat surface.

By the way, this certainly is not "best splitter in the world", I for one would like the DHT 22 ton unit over this one. BUT, it was a compromise for me to get the smallest footprint splitter I could since I have very limited storage space. Having said that, I've been pleasantly surprised with it so far. It will get a workout tomorrow.

The foot IS very thick, too thick. I'm going to process some wood in the morning I scrounged today (a big fat 30 to 40" Oak). So I'll take a close look at it to see how the foot is made.... It's 3 or 4 inches thick, I think if I recall, it's about a 1" plate coming off the beam, and then another plate welded to that. One thing I like on the plate is it has some of the largest teeth sticking out of it I've seen to hold the round from slipping out. When it's vert, the few big splits I tried on it were fine. but I did try laying a large 2' length of dock scrap wood I have next to the foot also. It's a large thick plank about 3" thick, 2' long x 18" wide. I just laid it along side the foot, and it matched up. I'm going to cut the foots shape out of the plank, so it can be laid right around the foot. Then you just roll the round up and plop it down on the foot and plank which is just a big flat surface.

By the way, this certainly is not "best splitter in the world", I for one would like the DHT 22 ton unit over this one. BUT, it was a compromise for me to get the smallest footprint splitter I could since I have very limited storage space. Having said that, I've been pleasantly surprised with it so far. It will get a workout tomorrow.
After getting through the kinks on the Huskee22, it seems to be a real performer or me....

Could you get a picture of the foot plate? I've heard it's heavy duty sheet steel rather than a solid 2" block of steel.

We got our 27 ton Ariens from HD in early July. I've split more than 7 cords since then with it. I ove the design and the fact that the engine is far forward of the work area. I had a nice little collecton going of 20 and 25% coupons from HF ads in car magazines; none of he HDs in my area would honor them. They did apply a 10% promotion we received from my wife's HD account.

I don't hear anyone just buying it at HF, why not? Thanks....

Very nice.. ! what a deall . how did you get a 300 coupon

Gotcha, a lucky hit...

Could you get a picture of the foot plate? I've heard it's heavy duty sheet steel rather than a solid 2" block of steel.

Got some today, will post when sync pics... The foot is actually an extension of the top plate of the beam, bent 90 up. Looks like 1/2" or 5/8" steel, and then it's boxed in behind/under it with some heavy sheet metal of sorts, and then another thick steel plate (1/2" or so) capped on the end. The sides also have som thick plates also welded on for support. Can't see what is inside the "box", but is not hollow. Support trussing perhaps...? Kind of a weird foot setup. I don't like how fat/thick it is. But my shim works great to hold the rounds flat / square to the foot when vertical.

Had no issues splitting the bigguns today.

Very nice.. ! what a deall . how did you get a 300 coupon

Was just a 25% off coupon. 25% off $1199 is 300. ;)

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Thank god for the new splitter! These 18" x 35" rounds could not be budged until quartered. The 13 year old truck springs weren't real excited about bottoming out, but she got em home for their final "resting" before cremation! ;)

Truck1s_resize.JPG

Here ya go.... looks like 1/4 or 3/8" steel X 2 with some heavy sheet metal in between....

Attachments

• Foot.JPG
    Foot.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 414
Here is what it looks like with the "Work Table" installed, works awesome. I highly recommend installing the $60 work table.

Table3_resize.JPG

Reactions: ChadD
Anyone have the Ariens 22 ton splitter available at Home Depot for 1199?

It looks to be a decent unit, 12 second cycle time isn't bad. What I like about it and why I want it, is because it seems to be the smallest footprint 20-25 ton splitter. It's only 38" wide, where all of the others are 48" wide. I have a very tight storage space, so the size is a huge issue for me.

Any pro's cons' on this splitter?

Picking up my Gravely 22 ton Saturday. Identical to Ariens of course, except all orange is red.:) I'll post some pics. Can't wait.

Picking up my Gravely 22 ton Saturday. Identical to Ariens of course, except all orange is red.:) I'll post some pics. Can't wait.

Don't do it! The red just does not work as good! ;)

Order the Work table for it, well worth it for $60. You can place 2 or 3 rounds on it, or when splitting big ones, place 1/2 the split while splitting the other half further. Saves alot of bending over and lifting....

Enjoy the new splitter, I'm very happy with it.

Don't do it! The red just does not work as good! ;)
Hey Thanks. Gravely is big around here.So.. you know. The dealer is local. Happy splitting.

Reactions: Machria
Just an IMHO, you can use a wheel barrow to do the same thing...

Just an IMHO, you can use a wheel barrow to do the same thing...

Not really. The table is right there, next to the beam, not behind you, or 3' over there where you need to walk a step or two to get a round or place the 1/2 split while it awaits more splitting. What's nice about it is, when you are doing small rounds, I can place 3 or 4 rounds o. The table, then split them all before returning to the round pile again...

Not really. The table is right there, next to the beam, not behind you, or 3' over there where you need to walk a step or two to get a round or place the 1/2 split while it awaits more splitting. What's nice about it is, when you are doing small rounds, I can place 3 or 4 rounds o. The table, then split them all before returning to the round pile again...
Well my splitter has a bit of a different set-up then yours so it is exactly in the same spot as your table, but I did mis-speak because it is not your model, that is what I was referring to, enjoy your splitter..... It's awesome to have.

I got the 27 ton in sept, and have about 4 cords through it so far. time will tell how it holds up, so far so good. Heres one of the first rounds through it:

Attachments

• photo(4).JPG
    photo(4).JPG
    353.6 KB · Views: 450
Order the Work table for it, well worth it for $60. You can place 2 or 3 rounds on it, or when splitting big ones, place 1/2 the split while splitting the other half further. Saves alot of bending over and lifting....

Enjoy the new splitter, I'm very happy with it.
Thanks Machria. The Gravely seems to come with the work table already attached. Didn't argue with them;) Love it so far. 1and a half split so far. Great machines. I didn't realize Ariens bought Gravely. Guess that's why they look identical.

Sounds like there are no ill effects from the re-design of the beam and foot, right? Do you guys notice any drawbacks?

Sounds like there are no ill effects from the re-design of the beam and foot, right? Do you guys notice any drawbacks?

I don't, works like a charm and solid as a rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.