Ariens 22 ton splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like there are no ill effects from the re-design of the beam and foot, right? Do you guys notice any drawbacks?

None. Split one and a half cord so far. Big oak and mulberry rounds. Great.

Glad to hear that, 'cause I really like my splitter. I think it's a quality machine made in USA. I would have been really disappointed in the company had they cheapened it down.

I did go to HD and checked them out myself, and it looks like the design change is across the board on all the models. Still seem pretty stout tho...

Glad to hear that, 'cause I really like my splitter. I think it's a quality machine made in USA. I would have been really disappointed in the company had they cheapened it down.

I did go to HD and checked them out myself, and it looks like the design change is across the board on all the models. Still seem pretty stout tho...

When did the re-design occur? And, is it a fairly "new" thing that HD sells Ariens? I don't recall HD selling Ariens stuff before this summer when I saw they carried the splitter. Lately, I saw they have a bunch of Ariens stuff there...

I got my splitter on Labor Day weekend, 2012. At the time, Ariens / Gravely only had 27 & 34 ton units. Sometime this past year I guess they introduced the 22 ton unit, which had the redesigned beam & foot. I first heard about it in this forum from you I believe. Then I went to HD and saw that all the Ariens units were the same. Not sure about the Gravely units as I haven't had the time to go to the local Gravely dealer.

Gotcha. Gravely units are the same units, different paint.

Gotcha. Gravely units are the same units, different paint.
Machria,
I just got an Ariens 22 ton delivered yesterday... Bought it from Home Depot, very happy with it also. Seems to be very sturdy and love the Subaru engine, started on the 2nd pull. :)

Machria,
I just got an Ariens 22 ton delivered yesterday... Bought it from Home Depot, very happy with it also. Seems to be very sturdy and love the Subaru engine, started on the 2nd pull. :)

Yep, the motor seems fine, starts right up on 1st or second pull. Enjoy

The one thing I was worried about was the lack of a full beam, and how the cylinder was attached to beam. Well, it isn't. That is, there are no bolts or brackets attaching the cyl to the beam.

It's not the beam that is the weak point when not using a full beam. It's the trunnion mount cylinder. There were reports of some 27T Troy Bilt cylinder trunnions cracking. So far mine has been ok.

It's not the beam that is the weak point when not using a full beam. It's the trunnion mount cylinder. There were reports of some 27T Troy Bilt cylinder trunnions cracking. So far mine has been ok.

Right, that's why I said "and the cylinder connection" is what I was concerned about. But it is rock solid in my opinion. In fact, I have since looked at a few full beam units in the stores, and some of those don't seem as strong a connection. The connection is simply at the end of the cylinder with two bolts, but that part that accepts the bolts is just a little piece of metal welded onto the end of the beam. So it's not like the full beam is making that connection any stronger. It actually looks much weaker to me. My cylinder is held on with huge pieces of steel welded along the sides of the beam.

Honestly, I wonder if the full beam is only adding more weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.