Arrggg, this is a termite isn't it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wtf

May 13, 2017
New jersey
I inspect my stacks weekly and after this last pallet load I noticed a few of these guys around, no major infestations as far as I can tell, just doesn't match any standard termite photos

Attachments

• IMG_20170915_115904.jpg
    IMG_20170915_115904.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 386
Looks more like a wasp or winged ant. Termites dont have the distinguished seperation between abdomen and thorax (waist)

I have been seeing wasp activity so that'd make sense, very long antenna, even looks like a stinger out the back end

It's a brick.

Jk. Not a termite. Look up Dasymutilla Occidentalis and see if that fits. Looks like it to me, but I'm not a professional so your mileage may vary. :)

Reactions: Jeffm1
Even if it was a termite is that a big deal? I thought they would just die off once the wood is split and stacked off the ground.

A year or two back there was a thread on that bug
Don't remember the name but the was nothing bad said about it
like it won't eat your house
Do a search you may find it

Ants = 3 segment bodies.
Termites = 2 segment bodies.

Looks pretty waspy or a drone ant.