Ash pit dump

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sm922

Jul 12, 2018
PA
I have an ash pit system on interior fireplace, chimney inspection deemed the system out of code bc the Mason never removed the plywood in the poured concrete foundation (basement height is 12 feet). The natural stone fire place hearth is 14 " above / high off the main floor living area.

Inspector quoted saw cutting poured concrete to remove plywood.

Is there a simpler way to seal ash dump feature in floor if fireplace vs compromising the fireplace poured concrete vault/ foundation ?

Suggestions ? Time is of the essence ... any help is greatly appreciated !

I have an ash pit system on interior fireplace, chimney inspection deemed the system out of code bc the Mason never removed the plywood in the poured concrete foundation (basement height is 12 feet). The natural stone fire place hearth is 14 " above / high off the main floor living area.

Inspector quoted saw cutting poured concrete to remove plywood.

Is there a simpler way to seal ash dump feature in floor if fireplace vs compromising the fireplace poured concrete vault/ foundation ?

Suggestions ? Time is of the essence ... any help is greatly appreciated !
It doesnt matter if it is sealed off or not. By code that wood cant be there.

Bholler, can you elaborate a bit more for learning purposes only. My fireplace does not have an ash dump or pit. The floor of the conventional fireplace is all firebrick period. If the OP seals the ash pit with the appropriate brick and mortar, doesn't that eliminate the problem.

Secondarily, with the base of the OP fireplace 14" above the offending plywood, is that insufficient clearance given the assumption that the fireplace has no ash dump?

Can the offending plywood be injected/painted/sealed with some form of fire retardant that with a closed ash dump make it code compliant?

Bholler, can you elaborate a bit more for learning purposes only. My fireplace does not have an ash dump or pit. The floor of the conventional fireplace is all firebrick period. If the OP seals the ash pit with the appropriate brick and mortar, doesn't that eliminate the problem.

Secondarily, with the base of the OP fireplace 14" above the offending plywood, is that insufficient clearance given the assumption that the fireplace has no ash dump?

Can the offending plywood be injected/painted/sealed with some form of fire retardant that with a closed ash dump make it code compliant?
A fireplace floor or hearth extension can have no combustible material in contact with the bottom side of it. Personally i think that is kind of silly 14" of solid masonry is certainly enough protection but by code the wood cant be there

Interesting, I have the same thing happening in my fireplace. You can see the bottom of my summit in the picture that I took when it was being installed.

20161109_093505.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: